• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

-*-*a vision*-*- (1 Viewer)

seb_seb

if i were king(wildlife related):

1 for deliberately harming any wildlife or special habitat a minimum of £1000 fine and for certain instances(egg collectors) prison sentances

2 special protection for all habitats and species

3 linking woodlands with "corridoors" (already in progress i think)

4 all new houses built to encorporate nesting birds and bats.(roof gaps.......them bricks with holes)

5 locally important habitats protected and conserved

these may seem stupid to some of you..but if you look at the facts about how fast wildlife is disappearing..youll know something needs to be done.
anybody got any similar visions?:hippy:

6 - Ban dogs from nature reserves,hate treading in doggy poo!

7 - Ban everyone but birders from same sites!!! LOL.

All shooting estates must in future have a license to hold shoots, this license revokable upon an independent inspection authority finding any evidence of raptor persecution. To be paid for by excise duty on shotguns & gun cartridges.

Ban tobacco (anyone know just how much land suitable for conservation is wasted growing this dreadful weed?)

Michael

seb_seb,

You will probably find 2,3,4, & 5 are in your council's Community Strategy. They are certainly objectives in most of the CSs I've seen.

How much will happen remains to be seen, though.

Although I agree with Andrew, in fact I'd ban everybody from reserves, wouldn't help to get the message across.

I would add all birders must attend classes to gain an understanding of how the countryside really works. Never ceases to amaze me how many birders can pick out a Caspian Gull from half a mile yet have no knowledge of the nuts and bolts of the habitat it's in.

Last edited:
i hate dog poopies.

what about: teaching children about the environment. In school we briefly did a lesson or so on it, but it was about useful resources and how to obtain them. If children are taught how beautiful and brilliant nature can be..they wont go on to litter and destroy it!

I would want to start an initiative/campaign to drum into people that rules are not meant to be broken contrary to common misconception.

This arises from getting angry seeing people leave gates open and parking in disabled spots.

There is a 'disabled' space for one or two cars outside the hide in Bowling Green Marsh and there is always some able bodied birders parked there cos they can't be bothered to walk 300 yards from the proper parking place. I don't need the space myself, I have seen genuine disabled birders not being able to park there. At the moment the police are patroling the lane more often now so if any of you are reading this you have been warned.

How about getting young offenders to do community service in the countryside IE nature reserves.
Give Raptor conservation groups free access to shooting estates/grouse moors

Not sure that the 'king' can do much these days!
If I were PM, I'd put a statutory obligation on all local councils to have at least one nature reserve in their area, with a warden and good educational facilities for local schools. I'd also try and link all overseas aid initiatives to goals (which I haven't worked out in detail) including: conserving natural habitat; maintaining biodiversity; identifiying vulnerable species and implementing appropriate conservation measures etc.

Now if I were President! ??!......

(I'd sign Kyoto for a start!)

Amen, KC! The city here (which thankfully is pretty leafy) maintains something like 80,000 trees along public streets. And every year, they 'attack' a quarter of city, trimming their little hearts out, 'limbing' the trees to an 'acceptable' height.

I even called the street superintendent last spring to point out the fact that it's always done during nesting season. While sympathetic personally, he admitted that nesting times had never been considered, and was honest enough to admit that it never would, given the huge number of trees they had to 'care for' each year.

He told me he would alert his 'guys' to the concern, but -- honestly, again -- made no promises as to whether anything would be done.

But at least I tried!

Good for you, Surreybirder! But no oilman President will ever sign Kyoto, that's for sure! And in the meantime, he'll keep attempting to open the Alaskan Artic NWR for drilling!! (gnashing of teeth heard in the background.....mine!)

Surreybirder, A great idea and they should be of a minimum size and have at least three different habitat like a large pond, a wood and a meadow?

Don't know about teaching kids - often they are taught about environments, conservation etc ..... but after school go home to mum & dad, who have absolutely no interest whatsoever.

I'd also make serious steps towards getting more cars off the road. Not sure exactly how I'd work it and I also appreciate there some people who have a definite need. But there are an awful lot more cars ( and associated industries ) polluting the atmosphere than there needs to be

Carolos, I take a primary grade class out once a week for hands on birding. It is only for 45 minutes of their school day and where I think a good portion enrolled to get out of class for a bit, I have won over a significant portion of this group that cannot wait to tell me what they have found on their own time.

Carlos GY said:
Don't know about teaching kids - often they are taught about environments, conservation etc ..... but after school go home to mum & dad, who have absolutely no interest whatsoever.

Is that such a problem? If mum and dad aren't interested I'd have thought that would add to the attraction!

We've been trying to adopt a very laid back approach to birding with our daughter, anyway.

KC - yes ok, reading my post again it doesn't say what I meant it to.
seb_seb said:
i
what about: teaching children about the environment. In school we briefly did a lesson or so on it, but it was about useful resources and how to obtain them. If children are taught how beautiful and brilliant nature can be..they wont go on to litter and destroy it!

What I meant was kids are taught about the environment, nature etc in school, unfortunately for many of them the parents don't share the same enthusiasm ( presumably down to schooling emphasis being somewhat different in years gone past ).

Thus the interest stimulated in school ultimately fades away.

Yes Surreybird I do agree with the laid back approach. I do the same with my son.

But surely if the parents are interested - or at least show some interest ( a subtle difference ), then the kids interest can then be nurtured and not just lost.

Last edited:
I'm with you on your last point, Carlos. If parents get behind an interest that the child already has, that's brilliant. (One of my friends who wasn't interested in birds had a son who was. He used to drive him all over the place to see birds. The result is that now, 20 years later, the son is still dead keen on birds. )

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back