• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the camera lens as eyepiece (1 Viewer)

lachlustre

Should be recording bird song
This may be stupidest thread ever, but here goes...

I am looking to buy myself a spotting scope/digiscoping kit, and am considering various options. I already own a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 camera, which I am very happy with. From reading up on digiscoping here, it seemed that this would be worthless as a digiscoping camera (huge chunk o' glass on the front), in the traditional manner. But then...

You can already buy teleconverters for the lumix. They go up to about 2* (still well beneath digiscoping range), and opinions are mixed as to whether they actually improve things (I've got one, and I still haven't made up my mind).

You can also buy converters for spotting scopes that allow them to be used as long lenses for SLR cameras. For example, Swarovski makes the TLS 800 which replaces the eyepiece. However, this solution seems not to be popular, since with only the objective lens, the scope simply turns into an expensive 800mm telephoto lens - also beneath digiscoping levels.

Is it completely impossible to combine these two techniques, and come up with some system where the excellent 12x zoom lens of my camera takes the place of the eyepiece, and the scope becomes the best ever teleconverter for my Lumix?! One possibly relevant detail: once turned on, the Lumix zoom does not move in or out at all while zooming. On the other hand, the diameter of the Lumix lens is about 42mm (my rough measurement) which I guess is way too wide. As I don't have a scope at all yet, I can't experiment :-(

Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any feedback about the specific situation with my camera, and the general one of digiscoping where the zoom of the camera takes the place of the eyepiece.

As I said, this may be complete nonsense... I'm still new to all this

lachlustre said:
This may be stupidest thread ever, but here goes...

I am looking to buy myself a spotting scope/digiscoping kit, and am considering various options. I already own a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 camera, which I am very happy with. From reading up on digiscoping here, it seemed that this would be worthless as a digiscoping camera (huge chunk o' glass on the front), in the traditional manner. But then...

Hi Lachlustre

I can offer you only a limited response to your query....

I tried the FZ20 against the 32xWW eyepiece of my Leica Televid 77. It was very disappointing. The best image I could get was at 12x zoom on the camera which is equivalent to 10x true optical magnification. Combined with the 32x of the telescope I was probably getting 320x magnification which is way too powerful for my uses. Getting a teleconverter for the FZ20 would be an alternative option e.g. 1.7x and this would probably give you 17x magnification overall. I have read that the Nikon teleconverters are best on another forum. I tried to find a camera that would meet all my needs and in the end concluded that it doesn't currently exist. I decided to stick with the FZ20 as a superzoom and bought a Canon A620 to cover my digiscoping requirements.

Sorry I can't help you any further with the more technical aspects of your query.

All the best
SFo

Thanks for your reply! It is frustrating that my Panasonic just isn't going to cut it... at least the cameras that do work are fairly cheap (cheaper than some of the adapters for fixing them to the scope!).

With respect to the "more technical aspects" of my original post... well it was nice of you to call it technical, but it turns out that ignorant might be more accurate (o)<

I got an answer from Jay Turverville yesterday. To recap the basic question: why do you need the eyepiece for digiscoping?
I hope I don't butcher this (don't blame Jay, anyone): Basically, the lenses involved here either make light focal (converging) or afocal (non-converging). A telescope first converges light (Objective lens), but then the eyepiece converts it back to being afocal for your eyes (ie "straightens it out"). Using a camera + telescope without an eyepiece would mean that you have two lenses in a row that are focal. This would be a bad idea. I suppose the light would focus at the wrong point entirely in the camera, since cameras are not designed to receive converging light, but Jay didn't give detailed reasons.

Well, I suppose this is obvious to anyone with knowledge of optics, and probably my old physics teacher would be screaming if he saw how badly my physics has lapsed, but I learned something, and hopefully other newbies might too...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back