• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll sp (Mealy or Artic) (1 Viewer)

Heathy

Today at Stodmarsh i come across this pale Redpoll in with the Lesser's and 2 Mealy Redpolls. This one stood out like a sore thumb and would appreciate any help on the ID of this bird. It may just be a pale Mealy but there was little streaking on the flanks and when the bird flew away it showed an obvious white rump although i did not see whether the rump was streaked or not. Apologies for the quality of the photo.

Marc Heath (Kent)

Attachments

• DSCN0434.JPG
    DSCN0434.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 248
Hi Marc,

Just saw the image on surfbirds and emailed you; as I said in the email I would think a pale Mealy... but without any conformation on rump etc it is hard.

If you get it again let us know what it's like!

See enclosed photo, copyright Will Bowell. Another pale-ish Mealy.

Josh

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Heathy said:
Today at Stodmarsh i come across this pale Redpoll in with the Lesser's and 2 Mealy Redpolls. This one stood out like a sore thumb and would appreciate any help on the ID of this bird. It may just be a pale Mealy but there was little streaking on the flanks and when the bird flew away it showed an obvious white rump although i did not see whether the rump was streaked or not. Apologies for the quality of the photo.

Marc Heath (Kent)

Impossible to say on the image or the information provided. I would start from eth premise that it is a pale Mealy unless uou can prove otherwise, but you're going to have see it a lot better than this to get an ID. There were some very pale Mealies in Shetland this autumn as well, some of which needed looking at very closely to ID. In contrast, I don't know of a confirmed Arctic.

Artic or Mealy

I have another photo, I didn't realise i had 2 but this shows some streaking but there was not alot though, also bill does look quite heavy.

Marc

Mike Pennington said:
Impossible to say on the image or the information provided. I would start from eth premise that it is a pale Mealy unless uou can prove otherwise, but you're going to have see it a lot better than this to get an ID. There were some very pale Mealies in Shetland this autumn as well, some of which needed looking at very closely to ID. In contrast, I don't know of a confirmed Arctic.

Attachments

• Mealy 2.JPG
    Mealy 2.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 203
Heathy said:
I have another photo, I didn't realise i had 2 but this shows some streaking but there was not alot though, also bill does look quite heavy.

Marc

It's a male. Indeed, I would think it's probably an adult male on the extent of pink. All of which makes me even more suspicious that it's a pale Mealy. However, without seeing rump and undertail coverts we can't even start to make a case for Arctic.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back