• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

looking for recordings of Golden and Nubian Nightjars (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

I have been searching the internet without success for recordings of Golden and Nubian Nightjars. Does anyone know where I can locate them or does anyone have recordings that they can send me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Tom

According to Chappuis, no recording exists... don't know if anything changed in the last ten years! According to the booklet with his CDs, it might sound like Rufous-necked.

Thanks Steve and Xenospiza. Is it possible to download from the Macauley library site? I couldn't figure out how, but I'm not much good at such things. Apparently there is a recording of Golden Nightjar - one link on Google referred to a publication in the Bulletin of the African Bird Club about the first known recording. The problem is that when I went to the page it covered every back issue to it was hard to pin down. I have all the back issues, so I may have to go through them all to get a description and find where they stored the original recording. Tomorrow night I am visiting a known site for Golden Nightjar, but unfortunately I don't have any recording gear with me. If many local species have not been recorded it may be worth investing in some cheap gear.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately I don't know of the recording mentioned for the ABC. According to Nigel Cleere's excellent new book, Golden has a prolonged churr for a territorial song with calls noted as a rapid "koro".

The reference is F Dowsett-Lemaire & RJ Dowsett, Bull ABC 13:1, 49.
The good news: the birds they noted sang in the morning, until almost full daylight on top of rocks and bushes. An hour before sunrise is apparently the time to start searching.
The bad news: no mention is made of where they stored the recording.

Last edited:
Tom, Francois Dowsett-Lemaire's recording has been deposited at the NSA in London.
Go here: http://cadensa.bl.uk/cgi-bin/webcat and enter Caprimulgus eximius for details of the recording (but unfortunately, no downloads available on NSA website).

When you read the article in ABC Bulletin you will find that the song of Golden Nightjar is virtually identical to Plain Nightjar (C.inornatus), including the recording presented as C.inornatus on Chappuis' West African CDs.

A recording of Nubian Nightjar can be found here: http://www.tarsiger.com/sounds/index.php?lista=ok&species=28460&family=&sp=search&lang=eng&manner=&sel=4&kuvaaja=&type=0&sex=0&country=&place=&order=lisays_paiva+DESC&sel=4

You may have to start from the main site if you can't get all the URL by cut & Paste.

Hope this helps. Shaun

PS. the aviandiscogrpahy website Steve mentions in post #2 is mine, hopefully to be updated in a month or two.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back