• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Another female Wheatear on the dung heap - so that's at least 5 now in this area.

Make that 6 - another female in the sheep field.

Now 7 with two on the dung heap.

Last edited:
At least 8 Wheatears in the end - as follows:

1 male and 3 females in sheep field
2 females on dung heap
2 females in horse paddocks

probably my best daily haul of Wheatears in the area.

Magpie and Buzzard in the larsen trap in field near Tapenhall farm. I have informed one of the farmer's neighbours that the farmer needs to release the Buzzard ASAP. She said she'll talk to the farmer. If it is still in there when I do my rounds this afternoon I'll phone the RSPCA.
What's the law say regards non target species in Larsen traps? I'd have been very tempted to release myself, not that I don't trust land owners ;-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

What's the law say regards non target species in Larsen traps? I'd have been very tempted to release myself, not that I don't trust land owners ;-)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not sure tbh on the law regarding these traps but I'd probably be liable for trespass if I'd attempted to release it myself. Went back this afternoon and the trap had gone - just hope the fate of the Buzzard was a happy one. There were certainly plenty of Buzzards following the plough in the same field (at least 5) catching worms, along with about 30 LBB and Herring Gulls.

Lesser Whitethroat near Salwarpe this afternoon, 4 House Martins and a couple of Swifts around Coney plus a few Sand Martins and Swallows.

I could only find 3 Wheatears north of Knight's Grove this afternoon but 2 House Martins and 2 Swifts over plus Sand Martin and plenty of Swallows. This area is very good for Yellowhammers, Skylarks and Linnets.

Cuckoo showing well at Coney this morning. Two Lesser Whitethroats nearby, singing despite the frosty temperatues.

Only one Wheatear at the Sinton Lane site - a female on the dung heap.

A drake Mandarin perched in a tree in Knight's Grove woodland looked a bit odd.

Good numbers of Sedge Warblers and Common Whitethroats noted on the patch with scattered Willow Warblers and Lesser Whitethroats. Reed Warblers common in suitable areas.

Hirundines included a couple of House Martins over Tapenhall.

Gadwalls noted at Salwarpe and Mildenham. Kingfisher at Tapenhall.

Not a great deal of movement evident at the moment but, hopefully, the change in wind direction over the weekend will shake things into action.

Cuckoos this morning at Ladywood and Salwarpe. A decent selection of warblers. At least 4 Swifts plus good numbrrs of hirundines.

Wheatear (fem) on the dung heap this morning but no sign later. About 25 Swallows and Sand Martins around there plus Whitethroats, Yellowhammers, Skylarks and Linnets. Willow Warbler in Knight's Grove woodland.

Forgot to mention , I saw my first damselfly of the year yesterday - a Large Red Damselfly near Hawford along the canal.

Seven Greylags over Coney Meadow early this morning. Willow Warbler singing from the hedgerow. Sedge and Reed Warblers, Common and Lesser Whotethroats. Two Ravens.

Wheatear at Ladywood by green barn - 1st year male.

Cuckoos this morning at Salwarpe, Tapenhall and Hawford.

2 GC Grebes at Hawford and several House Martins with Sand Martins plus 4 Gadwall.

Singing Willow Warbler at Hawford. Lesser Whitethroats widespread.

Dave - Come on now, three Cuckoo's is quite enough. Share them out please !

Hi Neil,

It's quite worrying how Cuckoos have become scarce in some areas where they were common a few years ago. Hopefully, this is just a temporary thing and they will bounce back. I don't take them for granted, that's for sure.

I recorded 91 species on the patch in April. The patch year list stands at 94 species.

Female Wheatear on the dung heap north of Knight's Grove plus a pair of Yellowhammers.

Cuckoos at Ladywood and Tapenhall this morning.

Gadwall at Tapenhall pool.

Coot between Chatley and Hawford.

Cuckoo noted at Coney this morning, afternoon and again this evening. One Swift over this evening.

A singing Yellowhammer along Chawson Lane was notable by recent standards.

A Juv Tawny Owl was calling in Salwarpe churchyard at dusk.

Other species noted today include Cormorant, RL Partridge, Willow Warbler, Lesser and Common Whitethroats, Sedge and Reed Warblers, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckets, Treecreeper, Swallows, Skylarks, Canada Geese etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back