• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal M2 ED Series - 2013 (1 Viewer)

I am very curious about the 100mm version. I am looking for something to try out digiscoping. I already have a bunch of astro EPs so this is very intriguing for me.

I did get a reply back from Ben Lizdas at EO. They are in the process of getting some display samples. As soon as he gets those in then he is going to send me one.

As soon as I receive it I will give some initial impressions and then write up a full review of the scope.

Eagle Optics has them. :t:

Hey, Frank: 6000 posts. :t:

Ordered a Regal 65 M2 today from Eagle Optics. The salesman said they were selling them pretty fast, alot of interest. I should have it mid week. They said I bought the last one in stock. If it passes the smooth focusing test & has optics equal to & hopefully better than the earlier Regal I will keep it. The lighter weight will be a plus. Iam not sure if I I will keep the zoom, I found 1.25" fixed eyepieces like the vixen NLV's & the Celestron X-Cel's gave me much better views. I still have a Vixen NLV 15mm eyepiece, curious to see how this performs in the M2 compared to when I had it in the earlier 65 Regal & the Pentax 65. ...... gwen

Ordered a Regal 65 M2 today from Eagle Optics. The salesman said they were selling them pretty fast, alot of interest. I should have it mid week. They said I bought the last one in stock. If it passes the smooth focusing test & has optics equal to & hopefully better than the earlier Regal I will keep it. The lighter weight will be a plus. Iam not sure if I I will keep the zoom, I found 1.25" fixed eyepieces like the vixen NLV's & the Celestron X-Cel's gave me much better views. I still have a Vixen NLV 15mm eyepiece, curious to see how this performs in the M2 compared to when I had it in the earlier 65 Regal & the Pentax 65. ...... gwen

Gwen,

Anything to report?

Mark

I received my M2 65ED yesterday and I'm more than pleased. It's my first spotter and my only comparison is to a $79 Bushnell loaner so this Celestron is like having the Hubble telescope on my porch. The view is beautiful and the build feels very solid. I don't have the technical knowledge or experience to give a detailed review or comparison to others but it's a keeper for me.
The zoom eyepiece is no dainty thing at 11oz. Now I need a real tripod.
As luck would have it some deer showed up behind the house yesterday evening just after sundown as I got the scope on my cheapo tripod. For grins I put my point and shoot camera up to the eyepiece for a few shots that turned out ok for a clueless rookie. Since this is a bird forum and not a deer forum I'll try to get a pic of red shouldered hawk that lives here too.

P1010412_zps60371c9a.jpg

P1010423_zps0c8ba78b.jpg

P1010415_zpsb3880a0c.jpg

P1010414_zps6d92bccb.jpg

Last edited:
If you did those shots handheld then I think they turned out quite good. It is difficult to make judgements about some optical issues when it comes to digiscoped pics..color representation, CA control, etc... because you don't know if the results are coming from the camera or the scope itself.

Still, what I can see in your pics looks like good edge sharpness, a moderate level of distortion and relatively good apparent sharpness. What magnification was the scope set at when you took the pics?

Yes handheld with a Lumix p&s I keep in my hunting pack. Probably filthy lens surface.

Magnification was probably about 24x or a little less. Somewhere between 16 and 24 since those two are marked on the eyepiece.

I can assure you that the view thru the scope FAR exceeds those deer shots. I was looking at deer eyelashes at 24x.

Having this new scope illuminates my need for a better tripod.

I also would love to know more about this scope. I'm particularly interested in the optics and not much with the lighter body. If the optics are the same, I would rather get the old Regal.

Looking forward to reading Frank's review soon.

Just bumping this, as one minus the eyepice was recently placed in the classifieds. Very interested in this scope and would love to read more exerienced opinions.

jw

Review

I had an opportunity to compare the Celestron Regal M2 with a number of other scopes at Magee Marsh this past May. I just wanted to say that it compared very favorably, and although not quite as sharp as the new Zeiss & Swarovski, I think I would take the Celestron over the Vortex Razor if they were the same price. Considering it's much cheaper, there is no doubt about which scope I'm buying next year. Unless a new one comes out of course. :)

Glad I just came across this thread. My parents live on a ranch in East Texas and want a spotting scope and asked me to find them one. I was between this and the Vortex's for the same price. Sounds like I should do the Celestron. Would get them the 16x48 as that is their price range. They would not be looking more than 250 yards, mostly at ducks, and other wildlife around their lake. ''I think it would definitely be better than the Vortex Diamonback. Thoughts? I will call Eagle Optics tomorrow.

I had an opportunity to compare the Celestron Regal M2 with a number of other scopes at Magee Marsh this past May. I just wanted to say that it compared very favorably, and although not quite as sharp as the new Zeiss & Swarovski, I think I would take the Celestron over the Vortex Razor if they were the same price. Considering it's much cheaper, there is no doubt about which scope I'm buying next year. Unless a new one comes out of course. :)
I have owned/handled both Regal versions & I will also agree the M2 version has a nice/sharp view. I think the M2 zoom eyepiece plays a big part in my opinion. I say this because I have been comparing the M2 & some other zoom eyepieces on one of my Pentax 65mm EDAII spotting scopes I just recently sold. Now having said this, let me say both specimens of the 65EDAII's the M2 zoom was used on showed no flaws that I could see. One scope was a used purchase, the other I bought brand new. The zooms I compared the M2 version to was .... a Pentax SMC, Pentax XF, Vixen click stop(current version). If they were all priced the same I would pick the Pentax SMC, remove the Pentax SMC from that equation & I would choose the M2 zoom over the Pentax XF & Vixen. ... gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back