• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rumors of new Sony 500/4 or 600/4 or 200-600 zoom (1 Viewer)

I'm currently holding off for reviews and tests, before buying the 200-600mm...but moreso I'm holding off in hopes of news of a new APS-C high-performance body - which is really more what I'm looking for to replace my excellent but well used and old A6300...If Sony release a 'mini-A9' with an APS-C sensor and the large battery, body controls, EVF, and focus system tech from the A9, I'd buy both that AND the 200-600mm lens together, and still keep the 100-400mm for maximum optical quality when needed, as well as the vastly superior close focusing ability.

Yes! A mini-a9 would be great. The a6400 was a bit difficult to use. Granted, I only had it for a week, but compared to the haptics and UI on the Nikon, I really preferred the Nikon. IMO, it needs both a front & back knob and a hard button to switch EVF/screen/auto. It also needs an easier way to switch between video and stills. For my hands, it is also a bit small in the grip.

If Sony could do something to compete with the d500, they would have a very popular camera.

Marc

Compared to the adapted 150-600mm lenses, the new Sony 200-600mm will be much better for video since will not do noise focusing.
It's a much more tempting lens for me but still have to think well if makes sense spending 2k euros for the possible use I would give it...

Sony alpha rumors has a wildlife review of the 200-600.

Some highlights:

* Teleconverters and Clear zoom images:
This lens is compatible with both Sony’s 1.4x and 2.0x teleconverters. AF is fast with both TC. I was able to track swallow with 2.0x TC (fiew of view at 1200mm)

• 200-600 + 1.4x TC: AF fast, IQ still great.
  • 200-600 + 2x TC: AF fast, IQ is bad. Image is very soft.
  • Clear zoom images is works perfectly with this lens.
* Conclusion:
This will open the door for many many users from DSLR that love the amazing AF performance of Sony A9 but don’t want or can’t afford the big prime (400/600GM)
I strongly recommend this lens as it is a great lens and very versatile. Just think what you can do for the money with A6400 & 200-600 combo for static or distant shot?

* My personal though:

This is an excellent lens but it is not for me. Yes, i hate the fact that i have to deal with vignetting when using 1.4x and 2x TC on 100-400GM, i hate the fact that my TC something wiggly a bit but i’m after absolute speed and subject acquisition. Also, the IQ on 100-400GM + 2x TC is usable for BIF. I’m belong to the remain 5% that need the absolute IQ, reliable AF and snappy subject acquisition.​

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back