• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lars Jonsson Lecture- I was there - not!! (1 Viewer)

Den

I still cannot get over the fact I could not get to the Birdfair lecture on Painting Birds in the Field by Lars Jonsson on the Friday night. I should have taken a sickie. I am well gripped that I dipped on this one . Please someone, tell me about it. At least it may make me feel better knowing what I missed.

Hi Den,
Sorry you dipped on this 'mega'! The lecture lasted at least 1 1/2 hours. & was highly entertaining. Lots of anecdotes, funny slides etc. Lars said lots of interesting things on painting, but it wasn't a 'Watercolour Masterclass'. He didn't really discuss techniques, & probably correctly, as these can all be picked up from books. A Powerpoint slideshow throughout showed his work,
occasionally eliciting gasps from the audience. It may be some consolation that many were from his published books, incl.Treasures of The Forgotten Forest. 'New' watercolours of Curlew, Lapwings, Broad-billed Sandpiper are
etched on my retina. The most 'shocking'/unexpected thing he said, for me, was that good bird art need not necessarily be painted in the field (unless I picked it up wrong). A finished work has many complex ingredients. Check out www.larsjonsson.se , buy 'Drawing Birds' by John Busby, and at least be grateful you missed a soaking! Cheers, Barry Ryan

Den said:
I still cannot get over the fact I could not get to the Birdfair lecture on Painting Birds in the Field by Lars Jonsson on the Friday night. I should have taken a sickie. I am well gripped that I dipped on this one . Please someone, tell me about it. At least it may make me feel better knowing what I missed.

Hi, Barry, I see this is your first post on BirdForum and wanted to wish you a warm welcome from all of us on staff here.

Look forward to more of your posts!

Hi Barry and Den

It was an excellent lecture and I agree with Barry that he didn't give much away about technique. Rather revealing, was the fact that he did finish off paintings from his own photographs. He said, he always has a camera with him to capture the scene and can use the photos to help fill in the detail.

He was amusing, clearly a hero in Sweden, has his own gallery and was actually a little nervous on the occasion.

Dawn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back