• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish Bird Fair (1 Viewer)

I think it was running at a loss, so guess they had no option. Not enough exhibitors or visitors.

To run a successful birdfair, amongst other inducements, you need a wide variety of stalls.Sadly the RSPB in their wisdom decided to charge small stallholders,who make up the bulk of the stands at the British Birdwatching Fair,almost as much as the BBWF,but with initially unknown numbers of visitors and subsequently only a fifth of those attending the BBWF. For most potential stallholders,other than the optics companies, this made attendance financially non-viable.Those with long memories may recall that the RSPB ran a series of very successful birdfairs at Vane Farm some years ago,but the stand rents were reasonable and this attracted a lot of exhibitors.
SECOND NATURE.

Was at the first one at Hopetoun House and enjoyed especially browsing through all the books. Missed the second one through illness but was told that the book stalls were almost non-existent. Browsing the exhibitors etc online and finding 1 solitary bookseller listed put me off attending the next one. Holiday companies and optic shops are of no interest to me, so was no point in attending (especially during what was still Spring migration time when I'd rather be out looking for birds).

I really enjoyed them I attended all from 2013, I did find it was very popular especially when Bill Oddie attended in 2015 there was a huge queue for his talk. it always was a great weekend for the family hope they will bring it back next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back