• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Poppy Algarve (1 Viewer)

Agree with Papaver somniferum, the normal lilac colour is normal but white ones are frequent. Its a naturalised exotic appearing on disturbed ground.

Think the wild type is red with a black patch at the base of the petals; like this:

They're pretty common here, there is a large population near the BP petrol station near Lagos for example and the only colours I have seen are as attached (bad photo) - and the odd white one - never seen one's the colour in your photo!

The common red one here is Papaver rhoeas - here's a piccy I took near Lagos ;)

Attachments

• Papaver_somniferum_1.jpg
    Papaver_somniferum_1.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Papaver_rhoeas.JPG
    Papaver_rhoeas.JPG
    547.5 KB · Views: 17
I'd mentioned that I'd never seen red ones - had meant amongst the spontaneous populations. I would be interested if the red flowered photo was taken within range and if occurring outside a garden setting.

There are numerous cultivars/varieties withing the gardening world of which most, if not all don't produce opium, or very little. These come in many colours from white - pink - purple and reds and in double, single and picotted forms. These are best referred to as breadseed poppy, rather than opium.

I think the taxonomy of the wild forms is unresolved also, maybe more than one species involved.

Yes without doubt poppys are attractive flowers they can soon add a bit of colour on disturbed ground especially If the soil is right, I remember last year just across the road from me a screen of mature leylandii were taken Out from the bottom of a neibours garden they had a small digger on the job and replaced it all with a fence, no Doubt from those activitys they,ve created some nice patches of poppys alongside the fence I saw the first flower Out yesterday from the colour and size It had to be a oriental poppy with the typical light green bushy growth Below hopefully the council will leave them alone thou I think that might be asking for to much I think they,d look nice in any border.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back