• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

N India/Nepal/etc. (1 Viewer)

Chris D

It's still down the road a bit but hopefully some time in the future the wife and I would like to see the birds and culture in a small part of the Himalayan foothills. We're not intersted in long treks around Everest and such. Maybe 20 years ago. Just looking for any comments or advice on an area or village or two with a great combination of wildlife and culture. I've yet to really research things but it's winter, perhaps someone has a great tale or advice on an inn they stayed. Our focus has been Australia, Malay/Indo in the last 8 years. We've only been on the Malay Penninsula (as far as mainland Asia is concerned). My wife is becoming more interested in Hindu and Buddist cultures. Birds live there too. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated........
Chris

Hi Chris

you might like the Darjeeling, Lava, West Bengal area of north-east India - very close to Nepal and Bhutan. And very nearby is Sikkim. Lots of Bhuddists there and monastaries in a very scenic place. It's a lovely area and the birds are amazing - Tragopans, pheasants, laughingthrushes, babblers, cutias, Fire-tailed Myzornis, wren-babblers etc. There are some very pleasant and easy treks such as Sandakphu
(we managed a Red Panda there!)

here's a brief report and a birdlist http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=17530

Tim

Last edited:
Excellent. Thanks..... I just got my wife a "Yak Bone" Mala from Pokhara. The purchase supposedly helps Tibetan refugees living there. Beautiful thing. Very inlayed and such. I'd think that the average American knows much less about this area than the Brits. I'm sure that will make things even more fun. We'll be in Sabah, Sulawesi, and Bali again this summer. Palawan for Christmas. Next summer hopefully Tari, PNG. World events allowing. Health and a bit of dough are good things.....

The "Tiger Mountain" places look incredible and incredibly expensive. But then again we save up to stay at the expensive lodge in the Danum Valley. It's all about the forest and wildlife though. Chitwan does look incredible. If anyone else happens upon this thread and knows any alternatives --- I'd be grateful.........Chris

Chris D said:
It's still down the road a bit but hopefully some time in the future the wife and I would like to see the birds and culture in a small part of the Himalayan foothills. We're not intersted in long treks around Everest and such. Maybe 20 years ago. Just looking for any comments or advice on an area or village or two with a great combination of wildlife and culture. I've yet to really research things but it's winter, perhaps someone has a great tale or advice on an inn they stayed. Our focus has been Australia, Malay/Indo in the last 8 years. We've only been on the Malay Penninsula (as far as mainland Asia is concerned). My wife is becoming more interested in Hindu and Buddist cultures. Birds live there too. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated........
Chris

Chris,

In February 2005, I spent 10 days at Camp Corbett, follow this link
http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/camp-corbett/

Its a great place to stay, good food and in the jungle, next to the Boar River. Wild elephants and Tigers nearby, plenty of bird life. Its about 70 miles from the Himalayas, saw plenty of bird life including Lammergeier, Steppe eagle, Himalayan kingfisher etc. Wonderful part of India.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back