• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey buzzards (1 Viewer)

Goldfynche

After carefully checking their call sounds, I'm happy to confirm that there have been at least 3 honey buzzards hovering over the crags here in Callander for most of the past week!

Honey Buzzards don't normally hover over crags, or anywhere else come to that. They are a woodland species.

I suspect you have mistaken something else, maybe Common Buzzards. But photos would be nice to show what you have seen.

Steve

These are definitely NOTCommon Buzzards which are even more frequent over the crags. And with a totally different call! I checked the RSPB website for a Honey buzzard call. And it matched perfectly. Like I said previously. I will try to get them on video, if possible.

And, by the way. The Callander crags are densely wooded anyway!

Last edited:
2.15pm. 29th July​

If anyones interested, and in the area. There are two of them hovering over the crags at this very moment!

Sorry! Was busy elsewhere! I live at the foot of the crags and see them frequently from my back garden, usually accompanied by two exuberant chihuahuas!

I invariably hear them before I see them. They are larger than common buzzards with wider wings. Usually a pair but often a trio. Not there at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out.

I invariably hear them before I see them. They are larger than common buzzards with wider wings. Usually a pair but often a trio. Not there at the moment, but I'll keep an eye out.

"larger than common buzzards" - not a feature

"with wider wings" - not a feature

Nothing to see here, move along.

John

As I said at the start. I think this would be an exceptional record, especially if 3 birds are concerned, so please view the scepticism in that light - therefore unless you can produce some photos I think most will dismiss your report, and I certainly doubt it will be accepted by your local recorder.

The wings of juvenile common buzzards (that are taking to the air about now) often look wider than the adults, they call incessantly begging for food, and the begging call is certainly similar to the flight call I have heard from Honey Buzzards in France. In fact I just watched and heard one this afternoon here in the Correze, and until I got a look at it I couldn't be sure on call alone it wasn't one of the local juv Commons.

So please don't take the huff, take a photo. :)

If you are right, it needs to be recorded.

Mick

Last edited:
Couldn't they be recently fledged CBs of the year? Its the right time, they have a different more provocative call at this stage and stubbier wings - due to still growing primaries. This last feature can make them look broader winged and even "larger". Also, the young from a same brood will often sail up and down on an updraught, like at a crag, to practice their flying skills....

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back