• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stumped: New bird on the block. (Arkansas, USA) (1 Viewer)

LarryL

United States
I just spotted a new bird at the feeder today. I've never seen anything like it before. It didn't stay around long enough to get a picture.

It's about the size and build of a robin.
It has a pure white body with black wings, similar to a rose-breasted grosbeak (minus the red and the beak).
It has a black head and neck. The black goes all around the entire head and neck. When the light hits it just right, it has a blue sheen to it, like a Common Grackle.
The closest I can find like this is the black-billed magpie, and they don't live around here. One other bird that it resembles in some ways is a Baltimore oriole (if the orange was white.) This may be the best way to describe it.
This is in northern Arkansas.
Any ideas?

I think Werzik is on to something. It finally returned and this time and I was able to get a shot of it from behind.

Attachments

• IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    334.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back