• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Small) Pearl-bordered Fritillary? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
After five years at my local patch in St Petersburg Russia, I've been surprised that I haven't recorded Pearl-bordered Fritillary whilst Small P-b is common.

I do however, get insects that confuse me occasionally such as the attached, which looks like Pearl-bordered to me? It was flying in sedges on the marsh with the abundant, presumed S Pb. Opinions and advice welcome but the forewing tip, looks good as do a couple of the individual cells in the hind wing.

A

Attachments

• P6120527.jpg
    P6120527.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'd go Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - in this part of the world, Pearl-bordered tends to have a much smaller spot in the cell and doesn't have the prominent black inner edging to the margin pearls.

Small Pearl-bordered is also the more common species here, occurring widely in damp grassland and marshy areas. Pearl-bordered is more restricted in range, often in sphagnum bogs, etc

I'd go Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary - in this part of the world, Pearl-bordered tends to have a much smaller spot in the cell and doesn't have the prominent black inner edging to the margin pearls.

Small Pearl-bordered is also the more common species here, occurring widely in damp grassland and marshy areas. Pearl-bordered is more restricted in range, often in sphagnum bogs, etc

I agree with all the above Jos but look at third cell up from the base of the hind wing, it' s a solid, single cell, should be bisected with a dark line in SPb and there's a white cell in the middle of the hindwing which is shorter in SPb?

Tip of the forweing also looks better for PB?

A

Last edited:
Here's what I'd expect a Pearl-bordered to look like, from Estonia: https://observation.org/foto/view/14060218
Note the brown spots and lack of black edgings.

There are a few Russian observations identified as Pearl-bordered on the same site, but they look more like Small Pearl-bordered to me (thick black margins etc.): https://observation.org/foto/view/1365158
I'll ask for confirmation on this one... The one thing it has got going for it over Andy's one are the regularly sized black spots.

I was searching for Pearl-bordered two weeks ago, but all of my photos showed Small Pearl-bordered!

Here's what I'd expect a Pearl-bordered to look like, from Estonia: https://observation.org/foto/view/14060218
Note the brown spots and lack of black edgings.

There are a few Russian observations identified as Pearl-bordered on the same site, but they look more like Small Pearl-bordered to me (thick black margins etc.): https://observation.org/foto/view/1365158
I'll ask for confirmation on this one... The one thing it has got going for it over Andy's one are the regularly sized black spots.

I was searching for Pearl-bordered two weeks ago, but all of my photos showed Small Pearl-bordered!

Thanks,
I'm sure Jos is right,
this is a nice 'side by side' but some Fennoscandian races are a bit confusing.

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/imag...all Pearl-bordered Fritillary - underside.jpg

The point Jos makes about the black border to the 'pearls' is a good and seemingly, consistent feature. I still think that the tip of the forewing on mine, looks VERY, like PB.

I'd agree btw, the image at the link in Petrazavodsk, looks like SP-b to me too.

A

Last edited:
One addition addition thing that I could add that might be of use - though Pearl-bordered are pretty rare here in comparison to Small Pearl-bordered, they do in my experience not tend to fly together - if I find Pearl-bordered, then it tends be pure Pearl-bordereds, not a mix of the two (even if I am seeing Small Pearl-bordered nearby the same day.

Undoubtedly will be exceptions to this, and maybe not applicable to other localities, but worth thinking about.

One addition addition thing that I could add that might be of use - though Pearl-bordered are pretty rare here in comparison to Small Pearl-bordered, they do in my experience not tend to fly together - if I find Pearl-bordered, then it tends be pure Pearl-bordereds, not a mix of the two (even if I am seeing Small Pearl-bordered nearby the same day.

Undoubtedly will be exceptions to this, and maybe not applicable to other localities, but worth thinking about.

Thanks, that was a question I'd been meaning to ask.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back