• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring Raptors, Marettimo Sicily (1 Viewer)

Kinthissa

23rd April, after 2 days of a ferocious Scirocco

no.1 is to celebrate a returning Honey Buzzard, a lone bird at 12.00; would you agree a female?

nos. 2, 3 : ca 17.00, in amongst several Black Kites, a pale Booted Eagle?

nos. 4,5 : ca 19.00, looks like a Buteo, please can you tell me which kind it is?

Attachments

• p1470520.jpg
    p1470520.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 121
  • p1470544.jpg
    p1470544.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 125
  • p1470546.jpg
    p1470546.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 95
  • p1470548.jpg
    p1470548.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 94
  • p1470549.jpg
    p1470549.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 93
Difficult 2cy Buteo buzzard, the tail look really pale and unbarred, but quality is not enough for me. Not sure we can get a positive ID. Buteo buteo (especially is we include cirtensis and vulpinus) is by far most likely though :king::king:

Difficult 2cy Buteo buzzard, the tail look really pale and unbarred, but quality is not enough for me. Not sure we can get a positive ID. Buteo buteo (especially is we include cirtensis and vulpinus) is by far most likely though :king::king:

Thank you, Andy and Valéry. Re: bird in nos. 4 - 5 as a 2nd cy Buteo on spring migration ... with no indication of a dark trailing edge to the wing, do you think we can say it is likely not a Common Buzzard B. buteo buteo? In amongst Forsman's photos, there is a similarly light B. buteo vulpinus, also a B. rufinus cirtensis.

With such variability in Buteo subspecies, I appreciate that a bird seen on migration must be nearly impossible to identify with certainty.

Thank you, Andy and Valéry. Re: bird in nos. 4 - 5 as a 2nd cy Buteo on spring migration ... with no indication of a dark trailing edge to the wing, do you think we can say it is likely not a Common Buzzard B. buteo buteo? In amongst Forsman's photos, there is a similarly light B. buteo vulpinus, also a B. rufinus cirtensis.

With such variability in Buteo subspecies, I appreciate that a bird seen on migration must be nearly impossible to identify with certainty.

As I claimed many times, B. (buteo) cirtensis, is not related to B. rufinus.

http://www.magornitho.org/2019/02/north-african-buzzard-taxonomy/

As I claimed many times, B. (buteo) cirtensis, is not related to B. rufinus.

http://www.magornitho.org/2019/02/north-african-buzzard-taxonomy/

I wasn't aware of your claim, but now I have read the article you linked me to. Thank you. Fascinating to know about : "... this hybridisation in the Strait of Sicily and the Strait of Gibraltar"

I am now taking on board the following from the article :"This study confirmed that the North African Buzzard (cirtensis) is more closely related to the Common Buzzard."
and :"In English, the qualifier “Long-legged” should be dropped from the name. I think ‘North African Buzzard’ is a better and more appropriate name than ‘Atlas Buzzard’".

I wasn't aware of your claim, but now I have read the article you linked me to. Thank you. Fascinating to know about : "... this hybridisation in the Strait of Sicily and the Strait of Gibraltar"

I am now taking on board the following from the article :"This study confirmed that the North African Buzzard (cirtensis) is more closely related to the Common Buzzard."
and :"In English, the qualifier “Long-legged” should be dropped from the name. I think ‘North African Buzzard’ is a better and more appropriate name than ‘Atlas Buzzard’".

I published lists of Belgian, French, Morocco and WP birds since about 2005, and North African Buzzard was split. On Birdforum, I insisted on that several times, as here : https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=240247

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back