• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (1 Viewer)

Just be grateful that he didn't work on the real thing!

I do like planes, but not as active a photter as some of you guys. My interest probably stems from my first job after graduating, when I was a materials scientist working at the RAE Farnborough (I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you;)) I also worked in an office in Fleet, which was very noisy just before and during Frnborough Airshow, as the odd F18 would practice vertical climbs above the business park
Interestingly enough, I commuted for a while from Winchester to Farnborough on the train, I remember getting excited about seeing buzzards over Basingstoke, a bird I associated with holidays to Devon. Now not only are buzzards commonplace in Mid Hampshire (I even had one in my garden this year) but we also have a healthy population of Red kites, which saves a 200 mile to mid Wales to see them!

Last edited:
I do like planes, but not as active a photter as some of you guys. My interest probably stems from my first job after graduating, when I was a materials scientist working at the RAE Farnborough (I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you;)) I also worked in an office in Fleet, which was very noisy just before and during Frnborough Airshow, as the odd F18 would practice vertical climbs above the business park
Interestingly enough, I commuted for a while from Winchester to Farnborough on the train, I remember getting excited about seeing buzzards over Basingstoke, a bird I associated with holidays to Devon. Now not only are buzzards commonplace in Mid Hampshire (I even had one in my garden this year) but we also have a healthy population of Red kites, which saves a 200 mile to mid Wales to see them!

Mine is only a passive interest, probably stems from all the airfix kits I built as a kid but I do get excited by a nice bit of military kit.

Here in St Petersburg, Russia, we have Navy day in July when they sail Russian ships and Subs up River and park them in the City for a few days and that is a sight!

I still have my last flying model.
The empennage torn up and broken.

3 meter balsa and graphite glider. After 80 hours building it, my first time out with it and trying to trim the controls, I wingover'd' into the ground....hard.
Have it packed away, to maybe fix one of these days

Lockheed 12 Electra
It flew over my old patch....sound of those radials unforgettable.
Taken on film...kodak 400 portra

Attachments

• R1-06442-0011.jpg
    R1-06442-0011.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Shuttleworth Collection.

Old Warden airfield in Bedfordshire is the home of the Shuttleworth Collection. Almost all of the aircraft in the collection are airworthy, and give a fascinating insight into the history of aviation.

It's well worth a visit to see the old aircraft, and their flying displays are quite special. The atmosphere is very relaxed, more like a village fete than an airshow. During the summer there are a couple of evening airshows, and if te wind drops, as it often does just before the sun sets, they bring out the old Edwardians.

These are just a few that I took at the June display this year.

This is a replica of a 1910 Bristol Boxkite. It has a modern engine, but the construction follows the original.
https://flic.kr/p/McbBPN

Percival Mew Gull. A fast racing aircraft of the 1930s.
https://flic.kr/p/29fLhdy

The Bristol F2b fighter from WW1 is the genuine article.
https://flic.kr/p/28ez5fy

A DeHavilland DH60 Cirrus Moth, Southern Martlett and DH60X Moth
https://flic.kr/p/29cmDvQ

Went to photograph Red Grouse got three Eagles instead.:eek!:

Attachments

• 1P3A7149.jpg
    1P3A7149.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1P3A7221.jpg
    1P3A7221.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1P3A7260.jpg
    1P3A7260.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 31
These are F-15E Strike Eagles - dark grey colour scheme 2 seat attack version. The F-15C/D - fighter variant, 2 tone paler grey colour scheme (C is single seat, D is 2 seat).

Always thought the F15 is one handsome-looking fighter.

I thought they had been replaced sadly, surprised they are still active.

I think the first F15 airframe was rolled out in service about the mid 1970s. It's had several lives and upgrades since, still in active use after some 43 years and RAF Lakenheath has the greatest amount of aircraft stationed for forward deployment into Europe and beyond.
The latest version is the SE, not sure when these will be based here, if ever. I believe the Saudis have them though, as well as Israel.
I can't see them being phased out for a while, even with the proposed arrival of the F35 to the same base in a few years, as they still keep going. Tough as brick outhouses.

I think the first F15 airframe was rolled out in service about the mid 1970s. It's had several lives and upgrades since, still in active use after some 43 years and RAF Lakenheath has the greatest amount of aircraft stationed for forward deployment into Europe and beyond.
The latest version is the SE, not sure when these will be based here, if ever. I believe the Saudis have them though, as well as Israel.
I can't see them being phased out for a while, even with the proposed arrival of the F35 to the same base in a few years, as they still keep going. Tough as brick outhouses.

I remember as a young man, spending some time around The Wash in Lincs in 1979, regular, spectacular views of low flying F15's and do I recall Phantoms and Buccaneers around the same time.

If we were really lucky, we'd get a flight of three Vulcans over us.

Yep, they would all have been running in and using the live firing range at Donna Nook off the Wash and Lincs. coast.
Good old days Andy.
If you've time (new baby, mothing, birding etc) you'll find loads of photos of F15s and their marked insignias on www.fightercontrol.co.uk

Nowadays they're hidden on the stealth paintwork of modern fighters.

Congratulations by the way.

this is turning into my favourite thread on all the forums I inhabit (birds, cars, rugby, etc.)

It’s certainly the highest read post I’ve ever posted.

Is the Wash bombing range at Gedney Drive End?

I recall seeing 6 Monty’s there about ten years ago , totally unconcerned by the RAF harriers ironically dropping dumby bombs on harriers.

Yep, they would all have been running in and using the live firing range at Donna Nook off the Wash and Lincs. coast.
Good old days Andy.
If you've time (new baby, mothing, birding etc) you'll find loads of photos of F15s and their marked insignias on www.fightercontrol.co.uk

Nowadays they're hidden on the stealth paintwork of modern fighters.

Congratulations by the way.

Many thanks Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back