• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lanzarote in December (1 Viewer)

Feels like I've had a very successful day although the species count went up to just over double yesterday's, at 31. Three lifers though. I walked for about 2 hours in the suggested area between Muñique and Soo and saw hardly anything. It was much greener than I'd expected. Then at the very last minute, where I'd stopped to have a final scan before turning back a Houbara Bustard flushed from about 20 metres from where I was standing. I had a spring in my step on the long walk back to the car.

That's part of the plan for today, Paul.

Does anybody reading this know the status of African Collared Dove on the island? I've not been taking a lot of notice of doves, which seem almost ubiquitous and ACDs are described as an introduced species but I was in Puerto del Carmen yesterday waiting to go on a touristy 'dolphin spotting' cruise and saw a pair of strikingly pale birds. I reached for my phone to grab a photo ( they were very close) but they were flushed by other people using the pavement. Are town centres a likely habitat?

I tried the driving around slowly technique for the best part of 2 hours. Similar results. Fewer larks, linnets and butterflies than Tuesday. In the end I decided to head over to Charco del Palo again for a bit more sea-watching and just as I was about to up my speed (to between 15 and 20 kph on these unsurfaced roads) a single sandgrouse flew in front of the car and landed on a slope less than 30 metres away. I couldn't locate it on the ground though. That lifted my spirits some then 80 metres from joining the Teguise road I spotted a bustard walking across a field. I even got a couple of unsatisfying photos. There were probably two, because I lost track of the first and seconds later saw one flying. The location, distance and direction seemed wrong for it to be the same bird.

This might be of interest to anyone visiting soon. I'd heard but not seen Stone Curlew then driving back this p.m. I noticed one in the field with the light grey square structure on the junction of LZ-404 and LZ-405. Pics of that (there were two) might be slightly more satisfying.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back