• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

20,000 Dead Guillemots (1 Viewer)

Study just out (link in Dutch sorry): https://resource.wur.nl/nl/wetenschap/show/Zeekoeten-dood-door-slechte-jeugd.htm

Cause was low weight of young birds upon leaving the breeding grounds (mostly E Scotland). No evidence was found for disease, poison or plastic being the cause of death (or that container ship that lost part of its cargo). The article also mentions that mass strandings like these are not uncommon, but are a worrying phenomenon (less food available to the colonies) and part of a further UK-Dutch investigation. The total number of dead birds equated to 2% of the Guillemot population wintering on the North Sea.

Are Sand Eels a major part of a guillemot diet? I believe there is a chronic lack of them in recent years due to warming seas

Are Sand Eels a major part of a guillemot diet? I believe there is a chronic lack of them in recent years due to warming seas

Yes they are one of the main food sources during the breeding season - and under pressure from both commercial fishing and global warming.
The fishing is mostly because of their high oil content, so we use them to get that healthy omega-3 into farmed salmon and stuff like that. A pretty sorry state of affairs really.

http://blueplanetsociety.org/2009/06/where-have-all-sandeels-gone/

Not just warming seas, Sandeels have been massively over fished for use as fertilizer among other things.

Roll on Brexit, get all those foreign factory ships out of UK waters, screw the common fisheries policy.

Last edited:
Not just warming seas, Sandeels have been massively over fished for use as fertilizer among other things.

Roll on Brexit, get all those foreign factory ships out of UK waters, screw the common fisheries policy.

For fertilizer?? Good Lord. When I buy Blood fish and bone meal for the vegetables I always assumed it was from by-products of the food industry, now I will have to look closer

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back