• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 T*P* - Rainguard/Objective Cap Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Samolot

Hi there,

Just got a second-hand 7x42 T*P* - one thing I found lacking are the accessories, or lack thereof. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice rainguard and objective covers for this model, preferably from zeiss? Also, do any of the other zeiss binoculars' cases work with the 7x42's?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Just got a second-hand 7x42 T*P* - one thing I found lacking are the accessories, or lack thereof. Does anyone have any recommendations for a nice rainguard and objective covers for this model, preferably from zeiss? Also, do any of the other zeiss binoculars' cases work with the 7x42's?

Thanks!

Hi Samolot,

I had the same problem with my 7x42 T*P.
The original rainguard can be purchased HERE.
As far as I know, there were no objective covers for field use, and I've never needed them.
I've been unable to locate an original case, although I did find an anonymous one on eBay that fits perfectly, but haven't seen another like it since.
I was finally able to locate an authentic Zeiss strap on eBay, after two or three years. Hit and miss.

Zeiss was very helpful putting mine into perfect working order under the transferrable lifetime warranty, so don't hesitate to call them if necessary.

Good luck,
Ed

I actually have all the included accessories, but have found the rainguard in particular to be too flimsy and falls off too easily. Was thinking if any of the other zeiss rainguards have a more snug fit.

I keep the eyecups rolled down, so the rubber rainguard does very well, if attached to both straps. Otherwise, it falls off as you say.

Ed

I keep the eyecups rolled down, so the rubber rainguard does very well, if attached to both straps. Otherwise, it falls off as you say.

Ed

I use this rainguard on several binos, including other brands, and always have it attached to both straps. Despite its clunky appearance it is very effective because its loose fit means it comes off the eyecups and fits back on very quickly and easily so you minimise rain getting on the eyepieces.

The rainguard below is the one I mean.

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_1064Red.jpg
    IMG_1064Red.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Zeiss has an excellent rainguard available,that is not flimsy or does not have any other usability problem. I use them for years now already and I still like them a lot: strong, easy to use and very handy.
Gijs van Ginkel

i agree with Lee and Gijs, the old-style rain-guard is the best out there - heavy enough to stay in place but moves freely and quickly when needed. Makes modern stuff look and function like the crap that it [usually] is...

I was out hiking with the 7x42's and I now understand the benefit of the original rainguard. Its very effective! The case though... still leaves much to be desired ;) Also, anyone find a good pair of objective caps that work?

The standard Zeiss cordura case fits quite well. I use Opticron rainguards with my Dialyts which work very well - much better than the factory supplied rainguard that comes with the 8x32 FL (which right-hand side slips free before I can walk 300 metres - I deeply dislike it). Like elkcub I don't use objective covers and have not yet felt they have been required - although unlike elkcub my birding is softass urban birding.

I have the same thing and used some Opticron parts.

* Opticron 43mm BGA Binocular Rainguard
* Opticron Rubber Objective Lens Covers 42mm OG XL Pair fits models with Outer Diameter 53~55mm

I think maybe the 37mm rainguard might fit better. The 43mm is a little loose, but stays on well enough for me.

I attached the rainguard with some sewing stretch elastic.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1782.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
marcsantacruz - perfect! I ordered opticron accessories before and have loved them - this is an easy decision. I went with the 37 mm rainguard - ill let you know how it fits. I also ordered a cordura case that was designed for the now-discontinued Victory 45. Ill let you know how it all comes together.

Attaching rain guard to strap

Here's another option for attaching a rain guard to the binocular (Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL in this case). I live in Colorado, so most of time I like to remove the rain guard and leave it in the car.
The snap hook and swivel are from Paracord, the tether is from Vitec Imaging.

Attachments

• 15A35273-FDE8-4D7E-A78E-D4FB81F59015.jpg
    15A35273-FDE8-4D7E-A78E-D4FB81F59015.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 0B9AC75E-9499-4F00-B18A-53A119A1CC5D.jpg
    0B9AC75E-9499-4F00-B18A-53A119A1CC5D.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 52
I use a solution not unlike the one highlake shows. Incidentally the one I use is indeed a Zeiss product.
The objective covers from a Zeiss Conquest HD. are not the most efficient (or user friendly) device; they're flimsy and have a tendency to fall off. I'm not so sure how many people actually uses them. However, they come with a pair of very clever little clips (one each side) that come very handy for the purpose showed by highlake. In my EII 8x30 I use one of the objective clips together with a rainguard (in this case, also the Zeiss Conquest HD rainguard).
Whenever I'm trekking and there is the risk of my sweat, or debris from vegetation falling into the eyepieces, I keep the rainguard on; if I just want a quick look at something, I take the rainguard off, it hangs out of the way and eventually I put it back again when I resume the march. However, if I'm going to be stationary for a good while (or for whatever reason I want the rainguard completely out of the way; I simply click it off and it goes into my pocket/rucksack). I really like this solution: it's minimal, tiny and weights nothing.

Attachments

• Zeiss_Rainguard.jpeg
    Zeiss_Rainguard.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 209
Here's another option for attaching a rain guard to the binocular (Zeiss Victory 8x32 FL in this case). I live in Colorado, so most of time I like to remove the rain guard and leave it in the car.
The snap hook and swivel are from Paracord, the tether is from Vitec Imaging.

That's a nice way of doing it. Much higher tech than my slip knots. I'll give it a try! Usually we don't have much rain in California either (present times excepted).

My solution of late [to these newer and cheaper rainguards] has been to zip-tie the rainguard to one side of the bino strap, loose enough that it can move freely. When not in use, it is pushed up the strap to the back of my neck where it hangs unobtrusively.

Still nowhere near as good as the old, solid Zeiss guards.

Okay, it's not that I'm itching for accessories. It's just that my birthday is coming up and at this point in life it gets rather difficult to answer the question that will come from several quarters, to wit, "What do you want for your birthday?" So, I ask again. See #5 above. Thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back