• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for very small binoculars with low magnification... (1 Viewer)

Etiennef

I'm looking for some tips on really small binocular for my soon to be 3-year old. So far she has used a pair of Trinovid 8x20 with remarkable success. o:)

However, I would like to get something more suitable. Larger exit pupils would be one thing to improve (say 3mm or more), and lower magnification to reduce the effects of shake (I'm thinking around 6x).
Since a very small IPD is required I would imagine that many single-hinge won't suffice. At least I have none that go down to the approx. 5 cm or so that is needed. Overall the ergonomics of a dual-hinge compact works well, so I see no reason to change format.

I would prefer a good quality second hand item in favour of buying new. Budget-wise up to 150 EUR or equivalent is what I'm aiming for.

Amongst easily available items I have only found West Zeiss 6x20 compacts that fulfil this requirement, which I'm currently leaning towards.

Other alternatives I have come across, although quite uncommon, are:
  • 7x20 Leupold/Leica compacts (preferably rubberised)
  • 6x18 Zeiss "Design selection"

I've also seen Minolta 7x21, but I'm concerned about their optical quality.

-

So, have I missed something great that I should be looking at instead?

Last edited:
In my experience fitting bins to kids, what you are aiming for might be an excellent solution, but I don't think your options are as restricted as you are making them by putting so much emphasis on magnification. I think kids can handle 8x, and when it comes to kids achieving easy seeing and a steady view, having a large FOV and very smooth focusing operation (that is easy to reach with short fingers) are probably even more important than low magnification.

Another factor to consider in bins for kids is close focus. Most kids really enjoy being able to look at fairly close objects. Many older models of pocket roofs have poor to abysmal close focus ability.

For those willing to spend $250 or so (with discounts), the pocket roof that I am recommending for kids these days is the Zeiss 8x25 Terra ED. It isn't my favorite pocket roof optically, but the exit pupil and FOV are reasonably large, it focuses very closely, the focus is easy to reach, and (if you get a good one) the focus is very smooth. It seems fairly rugged and it takes a standard strap.

--AP

Hi Etiennef,

I'm looking for some tips on really small binocular for my soon to be 3-year old. So far she has used a pair of Trinovid 8x20 with remarkable success. o:)

The Pentax Papilio II 6.5 x 21 might be a good choice.

Low magnification, extra short minimum focus distance, inward porro layout to avoid parallax problems at said short distance.

Should fit in your price range, too.

There are a couple of threads on kids and binoculars on this forum, and the Papilio gets a lot of good press in these.

(Also good for adults - in fact, the first Papilio I ever saw was used by an entomologist doing fieldwork. Butterfly net and all! :)

Regards,

Henning

Thanks for the tips so far. Indeed I have looked at the Zeiss terra ED 8x25, and in a couple of years or so I think it would be great. And the close focus aspect is a good point as well which I had not considered.

However, right now even focusing at any distance is a challenge and lower magnification would reduce the need for this over a wider range. Kids grow and develop fast the first few years, so I am already prepared to have to "upgrade" once or twice the next few years... But then again, perhaps the next "upgrade" is not as far away as I think, so the Terra is indeed an option. It comes in a nice color as well. :)

-

About the Papilio; although it looks good specification-wise, is it not pretty big compared to a small Trinovid?

Last edited:
The recommendations above are very good, but a 3 year old is not ready for anything but a toy.

Don't be in a hurry, wait until the child can actually use the binocular, and for me that means age 5.
By then, they can adjust things and the IPD may work for them. They may also take care not to destroy it.

I have grandchildren, and so that is the age where I give them a gift of a binocular at age 5.
Some have gotten the Leupold Yosemite 6x30, and some have received the Eagle Optics 6.5x32.

Thanks for posting your question.

Jerry

I recommend Leupold Yosemite or Kowa YF in 8x30 (or 6x30 if you really want the lower power). There aren't many other single hinge binoculars that have a suitable IPD for children that young. I don't think micro exit pupil dual hinge models are a good choice for young children, but maybe your kids will handle them better than mine do.

I have the Zeiss 6x20. It is nice but old now.
Also I don't think that it is waterproof and could have fungus if not properly inspected.

There are cheap 6x18 Chinese waterproof independent eyepiece binoculars. Only one in three seem to be properly aligned. But a good one is very useful. IPD under 32mm when closed.
A child probably wouldn't need to change the focus for medium distances.

going the opposite extreme, I got my grandaughter a National Geographic 5x30 focus free pair at xmas, she was only 2 and a bit but was always picking up mummy's binos. She loves them and takes them everywhere even the bath. They seem quite durable and haven't filled with water so far.

Can't say what the min IPD is and close focus isn't that short but does mean when she wants to look at the birds and squirrels she just picks 'em up and peeks then giggles :)

Attachments

• Millie binos.JPG
    Millie binos.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi AP,

It is a good choice for older kids, but for a 3-year-old it probably won't fit since the minimum IPD is 56 mm.

You might be right, I have no idea how IPD changes with child growth.

The 4-year-old grandson of a friend could use the Papilio just fine, so I just assumed adjustment range was "big enough". Maybe he just had a long IPD for his age ...

Regards,

Henning

Hi AP,

You might be right, I have no idea how IPD changes with child growth.

The 4-year-old grandson of a friend could use the Papilio just fine, so I just assumed adjustment range was "big enough". Maybe he just had a long IPD for his age ...

Regards,

Henning

Could be. Also, when IPD setting isn't low enough, kids get used to looking through one side with their dominant eye. I even have a few adult friends with very low IPD (50-52 mm) who used to do this, almost without knowing it.

--AP

I recommend Leupold Yosemite or Kowa YF in 8x30 (or 6x30 if you really want the lower power). There aren't many other single hinge binoculars that have a suitable IPD for children that young. I don't think micro exit pupil dual hinge models are a good choice for young children, but maybe your kids will handle them better than mine do.

The problem with the 6x30 and 8x30 porros is that the focus is a very long/awkward reach, and they have disappointing close focus. My kids liked them fine but generally preferred a good close-focusing pocket roof when they were really little. Later, their favorite was my Zeiss 8x32 FL. It has minimum IPD of 52 mm, nice big exit pupil, very easy to reach and turn focus, very close focus, and very wide FOV. Perfect, except for the price!

--AP

...About the Papilio; although it looks good specification-wise, is it not pretty big compared to a small Trinovid?

It is _much_ more bulky than an 8x20, but the 56 mm IPD is really the most significant (potentially) limiting factor. It is light weight and easy to hold. The focus operation is ultra-smooth, so good for kids in that respect. The close focus is unbeatable fun for insects, spiders, flowers...

--AP

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Most recommendations seem to be for porros, which may be OK from the IPD point of view, but I really worry about the ergonomics for a average sized 2-3 year old. Attached is a crop from a picture earlier this month, which I believe illustrates why the overall size may be a problem.

Besides, like I mentioned earlier, right now focus is a real challenge, which I don't expect her to master adequately for some time still. Most of the time she just enjoys looking through the trinovids at distant objects, without having to refocus all the time.

I understand this will change over time. But I really don't mind "buying twice" if it makes the overall experience better.

Attachments

• 2019-03-01 16.31.13_1.jpg
    2019-03-01 16.31.13_1.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 86
I have the Zeiss 6x20. It is nice but old now.
Also I don't think that it is waterproof and could have fungus if not properly inspected.

There are cheap 6x18 Chinese waterproof independent eyepiece binoculars. Only one in three seem to be properly aligned. But a good one is very useful. IPD under 32mm when closed.
A child probably wouldn't need to change the focus for medium distances.

Yes, that's always a risk with second hand items. Although minimal internal fungus, dust or dirt in an old quality compact is better than all low-cost binoculars in the really cheap price range.

I did in fact buy a Bresser 6x21 (it exist under many different names) for 25 EUR or so, but was very disappointed with the build quality and optics. Although it's not a toy with plastic lenses like most other binos in that color scheme and size, it does not perform better than your average 25 EUR bino...

The Fujinon Ultrawide 5x21 is small and quite good.
But minimum IPD is 58mm and at 9.3 degrees is not ultrawide for 5x.
But used with the dominant eye might be very useful.

THe 4x22 Dowling and Rowe is nice, also sold under different names but maybe too large. Focus version, not fixed focus version.

Kids love the 4x22 Bushnell Xtrawide (3.5x21). But again maybe too big. Fixed focus

The Foton 5x25 is very good, but again probably too big.

Would a child actually have to focus, as they have a lot of accommodation?

Nikon have a 4x10 binocular.
Also Nikon 6x15 micro binocular. I don't know minimum IPD.

Beecher Mirage have a large range of binoculars from 3x upwards.
But worn as specs.
Mirrors rather than prisms.

Last edited:
Would a child actually have to focus, as they have a lot of accommodation?.

No, for moderate to long viewing distance combined with low magnification it is definitely not necessary. Hence all the "perma focus" binoculars on the market.

It's only important for short and very close distance, for example viewing bugs, butterflies, etc. Such things will be interesting soon also, but probably it's not reasonable to expect a 2-3 year old to be able to maneuver focus that accurately anyway.

Bushnell 5x25 Xtrawide (4.4x25 actually) but may be too big.

The 6.5x21 Papilio II moves the objectives inwards on a curved track at right angles to the optical axis as it focuses close.
A Minolta patent also tilted the objectives, but I don't think it was made.

Minolta binoculars are usually O.K. but medium quality and not usually waterproof. The may have made a small 6x or at least a 6x zoom binocular. Maybe also 7x.
I got some small Olympus binoculars that are junk, but the 7x21 reversed Porro, I cannot remember the model, maybe III, was highly regarded.

I think that a clean good Zeiss 6x20 would be good.

Hi,

my godchild got a Papilio II 6.5x21 when she was 5, iirc - she loved it and still does now 6 years or so later.
If the IPD is an issue, I would take the Kowa YF 6x30 with its 50mm minimum regardless of her ability to focus today (does she even use the focus on the trinovids)? Kids eyes have a very wide range of accomodation and a 6x30 has a huge depth of focus - with time she will be able to reach to the focus wheel and use it.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back