• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sightron Blue Sky II 10x42 (new) (1 Viewer)

On the Optics Planet website it says they were discontinued. https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightron-sii-blue-sky-10x42-binoculars.html

Product Discontinued by Manufacturer
Sightron SII Blue Sky 10x42 Binoculars has been discontinued by Sightron and is no longer available. Our product experts have helped us select these available replacements below. You can also explore other items in the Binoculars category yourself to try and find the perfect replacement for you!

My only concern with these is the size. One reviewer said he was put off by the size even though the optics were sharp. I liked your Bushnell Legend M's optically but they are big compared to the competition for me. These seem that way also. In the picture they look HUGE! They are light though.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/sightron-sii-blue-sky-10x42-hd.html

I'm always put off by the size of my wife's Legend M's until I hold them. In practice, they feel much lighter than even my Conquest HD's because the weight is distributed so well. My wife is average size and height with average size hands for a woman, and she loves them. Double hinge binoculars have always handled better to me but then I have very large hands. I have been so pleased with my BS II 8x32's over the years that I am tempted to give these a try. If I do, I'll be sure to report back. It would be especially nice to have my wife's Legend M's to compare these to as well.

I just ordered both the 8's and 10's and will offer my thoughts once I've had a chance to use them. OpticsPlanet makes it pretty easy with their free return shipping so if I don't care for them, I'm not worried about being stuck with them. The 8's will have to knock off my wife's Legend M's and my Kamakura-made Cabelas Outfitter HD's to find a place in our home (tall order) but I've been looking for an affordable pair of 10's for shorebirds. These might just do the trick.

Last edited:
I received the 8x42 Sightron Blue Sky II HD's today.

Bottom line is - don't bother. Another cheap Chinese binocular they slapped "HD" on and are no doubt hoping to sell on the reputation of the excellent Phillipine-made BS II 8x32's (that I have happily owned for years now).

What a huge disappointment. Sightron should be ashamed of themselves.

The focus wheel had more slack than any binocular I've ever handled. When I went to adjust the diopter, a hair! fell into the view inside the barrel and it would move as I adjusted the diopter. At this point, I was actually laughing out loud. Add to that the barrels were clearly misaligned.

Only bright spots were the light weight and decent eyecups. Image was reasonably bright but had plenty of edge distortion and focusing was almost impossible with the sloppy focus wheel.

Don't bother! I can't return these fast enough.

That is kind of strange that the 8x42 Sightron Blue Sky II HD would be so bad and the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 is so good. Do you think you got a bad sample? MIC binoculars can often times vary in quality. I wonder if the quality problems are due to it being MIC versus MIP. Maybe you should try another sample.

That is kind of strange that the 8x42 Sightron Blue Sky II HD would be so bad and the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 is so good. Do you think you got a bad sample? MIC binoculars can often times vary in quality. I wonder if the quality problems are due to it being MIC versus MIP. Maybe you should try another sample.

I read in a post here very recently that the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 was made in the Philippines by a Japanese OEM.

Bob

I read in a post here very recently that the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 was made in the Philippines by a Japanese OEM.

Bob
The new 8x42 Sightron Blue Sky II HD which justabirdwatcher just purchased and returned due to quality problems is MIC. The older 8x32 Sightron Blue Sky II which everybody likes is made in the Philippines. So it looks like MIP is better than MIC at least for Sightron anyway.

Bob wrote was I was going to write. Blue Sky II 8x32's are made in the Phillipines. These are made in China. Very poor QC and one of the worst focus wheels I've ever handled. Image wasn't particularly sharp either. Not even close to the MIP 8x32's or even the MIC's Bushnell Legend M in my experience.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back