• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Canada geese really do this? (1 Viewer)

Do Canada geese really do this, nest in trees? Can some of the experts here tell me, here is a link to the photos

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613387

thanks for the info, it's news to me

what a striking pic- at least some of the subspecies do that: I've seen them up trees in Utah

--------------------------------

Moffitt's (or Western or Great Basin) Canada Goose (B. c. moffitti). Abundant. Found mostly west of the Rockies. Very similar to Atlantic and Interior forms. Some are lighter than Atlantic and Interior forms, but similar in size. Note that Palmer merged Moffitt's with Giant Canada Goose believing them closely related. Frequently nest in trees using abandoned hawk and heron nests. Common in Utah and Colorado, accounting for most of the breeders.

----------------------------------------------

Here in Montana, Canada Geese regularly nest in trees or on the tops of broken off dead trees. Also, they will nest on cliff ledges!. It does seem like a big awkward bird to clamber around in a tree!

Sid

Also, here they nest frequently in Osprey nests and are through using them by the time the Osprey are ready to nest!

Here in Montana, Canada Geese regularly nest in trees or on the tops of broken off dead trees. Also, they will nest on cliff ledges!. It does seem like a big awkward bird to clamber around in a tree!

Thanks Sid, there is a question on the thread that this links to, how do the young ones get out of the nest alive, wouldn't they have to fly right away as opposed to walking over and swimming off? I guess they must eat reguritated stuff. Do they fall out like some of the wood duck films I've seen and just bounce off to run after the parent?

I'd imagine they cope well with jumping out of the nest and falling to the floor, their relatives, Barnacle Geese, often nest on clifftops and there is some footage somewhere of the goslings plummeting from incredible heights.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back