• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What a great artist! Edward Lear. (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Some of you may be interested in this thread

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=165396

Apart from wanting to clear up some taxonomic questions about a couple of prints I was given yesterday, I've made a personal big discovery the past 24 hrs, one of my favorite childhood poets, Edward Lear, not only did lovely weird illustrations for his poems/limericks but was also a great ornithological artist on a par with Aubudon, Gould and Selby. I have a big fondness for Victorian natural history illustrators and was particularly pleased to find I now have a couple of 'Lears' to add to my collection! (Well prints anyway ;))

http://www.aradergalleries.com/detail.php?id=1714

http://www.ansp.org/museum/digital_collections/lear/gleanings_gallery_1.php
http://www.ansp.org/museum/digital_collections/lear/parrot_gallery_1.php

The Academy of Natural Sciences(ansp link above) is just a few blocks away from where I now sit. Shall I go pay a visit for you, Deborah? Actually I get there far less than I should and have let my membership lapse. Maybe when I have more time, which I hope will be soon.

I discovered some of this work by Lear within the last few year, I THINK in 'Art of Ornithology' by Jonathan Elphick. As I recall there was also a beautiful rendering of a Kingfisher by John Ruskin in that book.

when I worked on Lord Derbys estate in Knowsley I could see the cottage that he used to live in - he did a lot of his work from the original managerie, pre - safari park....

I remember when I first saw his bird paintings I thought 'this guy's got the same name as the poet guy',

Doh!

Mike

Interesting that I would find this thread here. I, too, am a fan of Lears work. This last weekend I lucked into two aquatint copperplate etchings of his at a garage sale for a truly embarrasing sum of a buck apiece. It was in researching these that I stumbled upon this forum. The etchings I have are from plates 19 and 20 from Prideaux John Selby's "A Natural History Of Pigeons" and I will treasure them always. If anyone should know where I could find more information on this work I would greatly appreciate it. Specificly, I'm interested in following the history of the plates themselves.
An interesting bit about this remarkable man I've uncovered during my search; many of the works ascribed to Audobon, Selby, Jardine, et al; were actually done by Lear himself. While his dream was to become a well known landscape artist his 'bread and butter' came from naturalist illustration, yet his fame was the result of nonsense poetry!

Lots of personal politics to be enjoyed there - didn't John Gould at one point have his wife Elizabeth and Edward Lear doing all the grunt work (artistically speaking ) for him. He JG would rattle out a sketch and tell them to get on with it.

Lots of personal politics to be enjoyed there - didn't John Gould at one point have his wife Elizabeth and Edward Lear doing all the grunt work (artistically speaking ) for him. He JG would rattle out a sketch and tell them to get on with it.
Exactly that - he was far to busy courting his patrons for the support required to produce the next couple of folios.

I was just reading that the Academy of Natural Sciences here in Philadelphia is planning a show of Lear's natural history drawings in 2012. This was in an article about a local scientist, Robert McCracken Peck, who is credited with just finding Audubon's first published drawing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back