• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Televid 77 APO version or Not (1 Viewer)

Sparky

Am new to using a spotting scope. Live in Michigan USA...on a large marsh about a mile long, with abundance of birds, animals, etc, Lots of Migratory birds in spring and fall.

I want quality in my viewing....and Im willing to pay for it...But am not sure that the APO version is worth the extra $$$....

Can anyone share feedback regarding the Televid 77 with or without the APO.

Thanks

Hi Sparky,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I have the APO77 myself. I tried it out with the non-APO and a few other when I was looking to buy. In good light there is very little to choose. But in dull light there is a noticeable difference. Also the reduced exposure times with the APO when digiscoping make a big difference for me. I say go for it :t:

Good luck and good birding whatever you buy.

Sparky said:
Am new to using a spotting scope. Live in Michigan USA...on a large marsh about a mile long, with abundance of birds, animals, etc, Lots of Migratory birds in spring and fall.

I want quality in my viewing....and Im willing to pay for it...But am not sure that the APO version is worth the extra $$$....

Can anyone share feedback regarding the Televid 77 with or without the APO.

Thanks

Get the Apo, otherwise you'll always wonder if you could be getting a better view.

And welcome to Birdforum!

I agree with Trevor. If I can be forgiven for trying to quantify something that is quite subjective: non-APO versions of scopes cost 70-80% of the APO versions and IMO are about 50% as good.

im a happy apo-77 owner and can relate to what trevor and henry say. you'll always be wondering if you bought the non-apo version how good its big brother is!. a fine scope wich is alot cheaper than some swaro's - but with the same great performance. good deals can be had if you shop around.

Another 77 APO user here, I agree basically with Robinm if you are not likely to use it in poor light or for digiscoping save your money and get the none apo. But if you are going to digiscope no contest get the apo.

That's my 10 cents worth.

Pete

Bill Atwood said:
As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't even make non-APO versions of the top-end scopes.
I couldn't agree more! No-one should believe the claims that the non-apos of the Leica or Swaro were made of some mysterious "almost-ED"-glass. They are just simple achromats - nice achromats, but only achromats.

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back