• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoping to see B&L rise again??? (1 Viewer)

David in NC

A comment in another thread by Samandag got me on THIS old bandwagon of mine again...

I'll admit to a soft spot for Bushnell optics, and one day they'll produce one that I'll want, but when ?

Also the thread where the lack of "true" "American made" bins being made might be influencing me also...

And while I don't HAVE to have a strictly American made bin, I guess I did think back to some of B&Ls products (?)

I would just like to see the old Bausch and Lomb name applied to a top tier binoc again, and/or see Bushnell really finesse the Elites and/or rework the Legends into a more quality feeling piece of equipment.

I totally realize so much of this post and opinion is subjective, and this is just for stimulating conversation.

I have looked through some Elites several years ago and was positively moved, but not "wowed". In fact the same shop had a Vortex Razor (1st Generation) and I was way more impressed with that. The shop owner however said he had chosen the Bushnells and they were his pick of all he had sold in several years (again subjective and I TOTALLY respect his opinion.)

About 9 years ago my wife and I decided on spending $200 - $300 on a pair when we decided to "get into" birding as an occasional pastime. My final choice was the Bushnell Legend Roof Prism. These were an older version of the current ones. They were heavier but felt VERY solid and rugged. In my opinion the version now feels like a toy. My wife decided on the Nikon Monarch, so we went with it (wives ALMOST always rule :t: ). But I STILL personally preferred the Legends, both in "feel" and in "view". I understand that the optics have been improved by I only handled a pair at a gunshow-I could not see a NOTICEABLE improvement in the building (and no great surprise here.)

A few years ago, an older lieutenant in my department (a local sheriff's office) and I got to talking bins (he a hunter and me just a binocular geek/sometimes birdwatcher.) He had a number of Nikon, Pentax, and Leupold binocs, but preferred the Pentax and the "polds!" as he called his Leupolds. He did tell me that his "best" pair was a pair of older military Bausch and Lombs. I forgot about this conversation and a few days later he yelled at me in the parking lot and called me over. He had brought the B&Ls and wanted me to try them. I *think* they were 7x50s, definitely porro prism, and definitely heavy (!) but OH MY GOD! They had one of the best (if not THE BEST) "views" I have ever seen through any set of optics. The view seemed wide, exceptionally bright, vivid, and clear. I would NEVER use these for birding mind you but knowing this view was possible, I have "hoped" ever since. Now I don't mean/want to get the "porro versus roof" debate to start again (because in this case the porro definitely won-no questions!) but I would love to see the OTHER areas that have been improved (coatings, glass, etc.) be used to recreate this level of view in a manageable ROOF prism that COULD be used for birding.

Anybody else waiting (hopefully not IN VAIN!)??? :gh:

Yes, still waiting for binos from Bushnell in the same optical category as their Elite 6500 rifle scopes. Current Elites are a bit mismatched in quality. Scopes are made in Korea, bins in China.

David - did you see that ad where the wife was selling a pair of bins with the line " ... husband thought he needed them ... " ? ;)

Last edited:
Yes, still waiting for binos from Bushnell in the same optical category as their Elite 6500 rifle scopes. Current Elites are a bit mismatched in quality. Scopes are made in Korea, bins in China.

David - did you see that ad where the wife was selling a pair of bins with the line " ... husband thought he needed them ... " ? ;)

2nd question first-No I didn't...

1st Paragraph-I recall the Elites as being nice but definitely not "wow" for me, and the construction didn't feel like something at their price point...so I would very much be inclined to agree with you...

The B+L models' quality did fluctuate a lot in the 70s and 80s, and of course now, the actual corporation is
almost vapor over Rochester, with Kodak and Xerox.

Bushnell, the 'carrier' brand, has a good deal of fluctuation in the build and mechanical designs,
at different price levels. A lot of the B+L models were actually slightly touched-up glass and
major mechanical quality. They were rugged and precise mechanically where the Customs were more
flat-out optical maximization. The B+L line was of a more practical weight, for one thing.
There are surprise models with awesome focuser and frame, but Bushnell goes up and down
under the same model name. Stabilizing, say, fine-pitched hardened steel arms and threads
under B+L would be nice. The 10x42 and 8x42 Natureview Porro/BAK4s are incredible and
have a solid precision black steel focuser, hard arms great sharpness. But next year, who knows?
could see a careful re-application of the B+L tag, but historically
it hasn't been like the Elite or Custom, generally. Consistency of precision build would be
a good thing to stamp B+L. Glass is too good most places, and mechanics are too spotty
everywhere.

Last edited:
I inherited a pair of the 10x42 B&L Elite Waterproof roof prisms (along with some military 7x35 porros) back when I first got truly into birding. These things have been run through the gauntlet of torture, are approaching twenty-years of age, and were never cared for or serviced, and yet still they are always found in my work truck for incidental observations. There is just something about the quality of that focus knob, their reliability, and the centerfield sharpness that has not yet allowed me to replace them as my car bins.

The new Elites are OK, but have a cramped FoV for their price range and don't exceed the performance of any competitors. The Legends are good optically but I've watched them fall apart far too often for my liking.

Ah well, with Bushnell's lackluster Customer Service and poor follow-through on guarantees, I'd probably never be swayed to buy another of their products, despite my fondness for the old Elites.

You still see the old Elites on the market here from time to time, and yes a nice bin of it's day. I look at them and think 'should I ?', then 'why should I ?' and move on to something else.

I almost forgot to say that in the '90s Bushnell celebrated their selling 20,000,000 (twenty million) binoculars by issuing a commemorative tie and tie pin and I guess something had to give.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
I dont think you will ever see B&L in the sport optics market again.

That's because owners of rights to product names who were NOT contributors in any way to the product's history or ethic, just sit back and drain their property (the name) of all of its value. In all likelihood, we grew up with the notion that a B&L product was a top-flight product one aspired to own. What is it now...

That's because owners of rights to product names who were NOT contributors in any way to the product's history or ethic, just sit back and drain their property (the name) of all of its value. In all likelihood, we grew up with the notion that a B&L product was a top-flight product one aspired to own. What is it now...

B&L in now the top-flight product on eye laser equipment. AFAIK their only business and as I'm told there is no plan for entering the optic business..

Jan

I have a pair of BL 10x42 elites that look very day of their 25 years. From the sound of the is thread the chance of getting them serviced is nil I presume.

I'd be delighted to hear if anyone knows otherwise.

Many thanks,
Mike

Hoping to see B&L rise again?

I gave my B&L 7x42 Discover's to a friend, should have held on to them.
Great glass's for the money.
B&L is dead...they lost quite a few of their sport optic design team in two aircraft accidents during the 1980's and never recovered.
A real shame.
Art

I gave my B&L 7x42 Discover's to a friend, should have held on to them.
Great glass's for the money.
B&L is dead...they lost quite a few of their sport optic design team in two aircraft accidents during the 1980's and never recovered.
A real shame.
Art

Two crashes???? Wow.

Bushnell weekend

Sure enough a nice condition pair of B&L Elites have turned up, offered by Ace Optics : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bausch-and-lomb-8x42-Elite-binoculars-Excellent-condition-/111371659937?pt=UK_Photography_Binoculars_Monoculars&hash=item19ee44aaa1.

They are just a shade more expensive than the Bushnell Elite ED 8x42 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Bushnell-Elite-8x42-Waterproof-Binocular-8x42mm-628042ED-/111493686701?pt=UK_Photography_Binoculars_Monoculars&hash=item19f58aa5ad.

I'll leave it to you to decide if they represent good value to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back