• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Superb result - lucky for us you had to go to work. Fine use of hues in the foliage too - brings a complete and satisfying sense of dimension. Lovely!

A rather fitting testament to spring birding in my books Nick. Wryneck tucked away in typical fashion amid new growth. Like it a lot Nick, even if you have issues with it!

Brilliant!

Torcol with leaf size comparison for size. Furtive study in green and whites. Bit of a blow. The Wryneck then becomes the only solidity in the picture. Its cryptic plumage is exposed as truth...an evolutionary adaptation to blending into mixed shadow and dappled light. The grey tones within making the spaces seem invisible. But your skill leads us to the eye of the bird. The only incongruous element, and the centre of it all. At this detail, all chaos stops, and the moment of transcience is fixed.

Ne Touche Pas!

You've captured a bit of genius here! In fact, quite a slice!

thanks for the kind words everyone, took a better photo of it today - still rather perturbed by this pale patch right next to the bird - but I think I'm just going to have to leave it alone until I see what the problem is in 6 months time and sort it out then/decide there is no problem.

Attachments

• wryneck 004.JPG
    wryneck 004.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 38
  • wryneck 006.JPG
    wryneck 006.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 39
no, this deserves to be done again in watercolour, I blame Tim and Juan!

off to work, ho-hum, off to go and teach some people speak English good and to grammar like a proper bo' Brit.

Then I'll come back and start a new wryneck

I know what I'm going to do with it now (looking on a different screen at work is a whole new experience) that pale patch just needs to have one stroke of very dark added to it to knock it into the background, then it should be ok.

project 'watercolour' is now underway - last night I had a good splash about with big brushes and got rather damp feet with the amount of water that got away - I think I may have to start working smaller and perhaps actually have the patience to lay a wash from time to time!

Attachments

• lrps.JPG
    lrps.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 45
  • bee eater pagney.JPG
    bee eater pagney.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 50
these are absolutely fantastic Nick.

you've captured the 'LRP essence' perfectly and the Bee-eater is one of the best watercolours I've seen, here or anywhere, for pure genius concerning colours, contrast and light :t:

The green reflected sheen on the nape of the Kretoglow is a great detail.

Is it only me that likes every version of this you do?

I despair!

re Your question...my answer is 'no..!

This wryneck in it's original rendition had me 'hooked' immediately...and i still love the first version Nick posted..!
I am coming to the believe that there is much value/insight to be gained by an artist recording..[photographically]..the various stages of a 'piece' of work..[whatever sort of 'artist']. As the 'picture' develops, even if the artist feels unhappy with the finished result, it shouldn't really matter as all the images form a 'whole'...in my present opinion....;) As always...it depends how one views things....[no rules]....?

ps...[Nick]...that bee-eater sent 'chills'....icy cool...!

:t:

In thumbnail view my eye immediately goes to the first. But when I look at the larger images I'm really taken with the bee-eater. All those diagonal lines in the bird are very striking, especially coupled with the vertical lines of the branches. I'd be tempted to do another one of these, maybe with a wash laid down for background?

Either way nice to see you started on your 'watercolour project'!

back to busy - purple sandpaper and bee eaters digging a hole

Attachments

• DSCF6069.JPG
    DSCF6069.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF6070.JPG
    DSCF6070.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back