• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welcome to Nick's dining room table. (1 Viewer)

Another sumptous spread, Nick. I love the stork sketches in particular. I mentioned this before but these are classic examples of first-rate sketching, and what I aspire to reach. You've nailed the cuckoo bang on, too, especially with the wing-drooping pose. Cirl Bunt and Blackcap also superbly done. Are you using fairly soft leads ? There is a lovely flow to the lines of your work. I think I might have to 'soften up' again.

Russ

the pencils were 2B and I was thinking that I need to soften up again too - no two pencils are the same - I've used HB that's much softer than these 2Bs that scrape across the paper like 2H.

Absolute "Babette's Feast" here!

Gonna have to come back and study in more detail. The sketching is loose, uninhibited and so free. Love it so much. Capturing the essence and the joy.
Too much to comment on at this hour, but will return.

Seeing those Melodys! Lemon Warblers I call them. That has cheered me up quite a bit.

Laters!

My first reaction was 'Oh feck it!' and to shut the laptop. . . but a slightly more considered and mature view leaves me still gawping, but in pure admiration rather than the churlish envy which first grabbed me. I can console myself with the knowledge that your framing bill is going to be immense :eek!: :eek!: :-O !!!

My first reaction was 'Oh feck it!' and to shut the laptop. . . but a slightly more considered and mature view leaves me still gawping, but in pure admiration rather than the churlish envy which first grabbed me. I can console myself with the knowledge that your framing bill is going to be immense :eek!: :eek!: :-O !!!

Quite amazing Nick. Impossible to know where to start, though I can tell you the Melodious Warbler and Turtle Dove page blew me away. I can see exactly how you did it with a few quick washes, though the thing is I can recognize the skill mixing the colour takes. is all done incredibly well, and the drawing is just brilliant...
So much here to see so I will just go back and have another look, the incubating Lapwing will be first, it's just gorgeous..

been here several times, to the feast, and running out of words, I got out my Thesaurus and looked up the synonyms for "stupendous"
extraodinary
exceptional
remarkable
noteworthy
wonderful
marvelous
prodigious
phenomenal
unprecedented
unexampled
unparalleled
indescribable
not within the memory of man

well that about does it3:)

It's the Dunnock that captivates me.

I love it all, but the Dunnock is special.
They are common here in UK. But after several years visiting Poland I never saw one.
Until 1 night on the Lithuanian Border 5 males had arrived that day, and were singing. But unseen. Like the Bluethroats near my knees! I never saw them either!

It seems they are Summer migrants there. And I still haven't seen one in Polska!
I wrote on Dark Knight's thread about drawing common birds, and how little we know about them, because we take them for granted?

That Dunnock piece made me realise this even more!

It IS truly a beautiful bird! Thanks for that!

"Madame Untitled" :)-C) often castigates (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...60wS_782MCQ&ved=0CCAQBSgA&q=castigate&spell=1) me when I describe it as a "squiddly diddly" (with reference to its song...:cat:)

But, I'm only being childish! ;)

A special representation of a special bird!

And the rest? Have you got a FanClub? B :);)

Formidable!

It's the Dunnock that captivates me.

I love it all, but the Dunnock is special.
They are common here in UK. But after several years visiting Poland I never saw one.

Mega rare in Sweden, despite being common..

Ultra commando special forces species given large amounts of forest habitat.

Blyth Reed Warbler is easier, I jest not...

turtle dove done - mixed media, the top left corner seems to have gone sepia - that's the camera - the real colour is in the bottom right (payne's grey)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 89
Oh you clever lad!!! - All the lines converging on that living breathing bird - a big lightly textured balancing space to the left creates a dynamic flow. It is a mega - and as Ed says, absolutely apparent from the thumbnail. From another planet, mate.

A beauty! All the best bits of Thomas Quinn but in your own inimitable style.

Mike

Never thought of Thomas Quinn Mike but you're right. And even more correct in noting Nick's inimitable style. Of course I'd be shocked not to find it since it seems to appear in all the work, regardless of style. A quiet surprise Nick.

just stopping by to upload these, then off out - so much to do today - don't think I like employment anymore!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 65
Love the 3 new pieces. The Turtle Dove has an element of diaphanous mystery to it, and a clever composition.
The singing Melody is a riot of sunshine and joy. And the Wagtail party is Ennion re-born and re-invigoured!
A feast of delightfulness unbounded!

A beauty! All the best bits of Thomas Quinn but in your own inimitable style.

Mike

You're right Mike. Tom has a strong Japanese influence in his paintings. I met him in one of the first ANF projects in 95 and, if I remember well, he used thin layers of watercolour and gouache on primed paper to get that ethereal impression.
This excellent gouache of Nick shares that oriental influence given by the limited colour range and the simplicity of lines and composition. Beautiful work Nick!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back