• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small, Compact Scope Wanted (1 Viewer)

Greetings!

I expect to be bashed a bit for this post... but here goes anyway.

I own an Alpen 20x50 fixed-power waterproof scope that I purchased brand-new for $60 US. It is lighter than many of my binoculars, and gives me a very adequate image. Not as bright as most scopes or binoculars, but bright and sharp enough for daylight and early evening birding. They have a nice FOV and I personally find that 20x is adequate for most mid-range birding. The fit/finish is nowhere near what high-end scopes offer... but it IS waterproof (I've been caught in the rain more than one time with them and no problems so far...). I think if you are careful with them and don't drop them, they'll last a good long while... buy two at that price and you'll have some insurance and STILL be under 1/5 the cost of a decent high-end scope.

Just a thought... give them a look and see what you think if you can find a dealer in your area with them.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

I expect to be bashed a bit for this post... but here goes anyway.

I own an Alpen 20x50 fixed-power waterproof scope that I purchased brand-new for $60 US. It is lighter than many of my binoculars, and gives me a very adequate image. Not as bright as most scopes or binoculars, but bright and sharp enough for daylight and early evening birding. They have a nice FOV and I personally find that 20x is adequate for most mid-range birding. The fit/finish is nowhere near what high-end scopes offer... but it IS waterproof (I've been caught in the rain more than one time with them and no problems so far...). I think if you are careful with them and don't drop them, they'll last a good long while... buy two at that price and you'll have some insurance and STILL be under 1/5 the cost of a decent high-end scope.

Just a thought... give them a look and see what you think if you can find a dealer in your area with them.

Best wishes,
Bawko
Last summer I was rather impressed by an Alpen 20-60 80mm scope. Even at 60X it delivered a nice, sharp image. There was some noticeable CA but, for the price ($400 USD), I thought it was a great value.
John

Myself looking for a compact scope I've tried the Nikon 13-30x50 ED ($700)and Leupold 15-30x50 Golden Ring ($400). The Nikon produces very nice views with very little color but I didn't like its bulk, perceived lack of ruggedness, and non-waterproof eyepiece. The Leupold is rubber armored and has a non-removable waterproof eyepiece. The Leupold also produces nice views but shows significantly more color. It's focusing control is very fast and it takes a fine touch to focus sharply. For my purposes, I settled on the Leupold and am quite happy with it.

leupold and Optolyth

I have an older Leupold 20x50 and think it is pretty great. It has a good view, reasonable eye relief, and a high build quality. These come up from time to time on Ebay. I also use a 25x70 Optolyth. This scope has a far superior view, especially the very wide field of view and the eye relief (an almost impossible combination). However, the Optolyth is not waterproof (it collapses), but Europeans use them in all sorts of weather and I have seen some really banged up examples that still functioned perfectly. I have found that I use the Optolyth for everything, even though I own two other 80mm scopes.

steve johnson said:
I have an older Leupold 20x50 and think it is pretty great. It has a good view, reasonable eye relief, and a high build quality. These come up from time to time on Ebay. I also use a 25x70 Optolyth. This scope has a far superior view, especially the very wide field of view and the eye relief (an almost impossible combination). However, the Optolyth is not waterproof (it collapses), but Europeans use them in all sorts of weather and I have seen some really banged up examples that still functioned perfectly. I have found that I use the Optolyth for everything, even though I own two other 80mm scopes.

Hi Steve,
I have been searching hi and lo for a "cheap" Scope (Just ask Normjackson!)and have recently seen the following scope second hand for £199.....

(quote) Optolyth TBG65 + 30x Eyepiece slight signs of use, boxed (unquote)

I can't seem to find any info on TBG scopes......TBS yes....but not the TBG can you help me on this and would it be a reasonable first scope?

Look forward to any replies...

God bless,
Mick

2520years said:
I'm getting frustrated with my binoculars so I'd be interested in...

A small, compact scope that will fit into my rucksack. Something like a Mighty Midget or Opticron Piccolo would be of interest. I think a zoom of 45x would be sufficient. I have no accessories, so I'd need a tripod, case, eyepiece etc.

My first priority is the overall size, as I wouldn't take anything too big with me.

Please let me know if you've got one for sale.

Andy.

I got a Piccolo new in a camera shop in Chester for £50, certainly well worth the money.

SW

2520years said:
I'm getting frustrated with my binoculars so I'd be interested in...

A small, compact scope that will fit into my rucksack. Something like a Mighty Midget or Opticron Piccolo would be of interest. I think a zoom of 45x would be sufficient. I have no accessories, so I'd need a tripod, case, eyepiece etc.

My first priority is the overall size, as I wouldn't take anything too big with me.

Andy.

Yukon Scout, I have bought from this dealer, very efficient.

http://tinyurl.com/2r4ek5

2520years said:
...My first priority is the overall size, as I wouldn't take anything too big with me.

Andy.

How about one of those Aldi scopes, if they are still available?

The TBG scopes are very standard fixed length scopes. They are well made and usually worth the money. I have never owned one of these, but I have two other Optolyth scopes and think they are great. I would expect all of their scopes to be pretty good. Ace Optics in the UK carries them as do others in Europe. In the states Deutsche Optics carries a small selection of their products. Optolyth has a pretty good website itself: http://www.optolyth.de/produkte/spektive/index.html

Best
Steve

The TBG scopes are very standard fixed length scopes. They are well made and usually worth the money. I have never owned one of these, but I have two other Optolyth scopes and think they are great. I would expect all of their scopes to be pretty good. Ace Optics in the UK carries them as do others in Europe. In the states Deutsche Optics carries a small selection of their products. Optolyth has a pretty good website itself: http://www.optolyth.de/produkte/spektive/index.html

Best
Steve

I've got a Mighty Midget 2 and very happy with it, although I'm well aware it's not the best scope you can get your hands on. But, seeing as I do most of my birding on foot or on public transport, it's ridiculously lightweight, fits in a rucksack, and does the job, as long as you're not expecting great results in very low light.

I've got the standard 15-40x zoom eyepiece, which isn't bad, but I'd definitely have a look at one of the higher-end eyepieces if you can afford it.

I´ve had or have the following compacts: Kowa TS502, Opticron MM2, and Nikon ED50.
The neatest and lightest, easiest to pocket, is the Kowa TS502, good optics but it gives a lot of flare and fringing compared to the other two, and has a fixed 20x.
I didn´t like the MM2 much, found the extending body messy, never got used to it and only used it a few times.
The Nikon ED50 is far and away superior. The 13-40 zoom is superb, the 16x fixed is delightful. It performs like a "big" scope, and I will be using it for any situation where distances are not very great, when cycling, or when equipment has to be lugged around difficult terrain.
I´d strongly recommend you have a look at one, you could be saving yourself money in the long-term (as if you buy anything less, and one day see through the ED50, you´ll probably start lusting after it anyway... ;) ). If necessary, hold off your purchase, start saving, and buy in a year´s time. Best of Luck.

Hi
I have just posted a MM2 Opticron Mighty Midget travel scope for sale on this site. I am selling on behalf of my brother. He is asking approx. £150 for it but I am going to be open to sensible offers. It has a four section unipod & case with it.
Gillian

How much do you think a MM2 Opticron Mighty Midget would be. My brother has asked me to sell his but does not know what to ask. It has hardly been used and has stand and case.
Gillian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back