• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics companies' customer service (1 Viewer)

Al Downie

Over the last week I've had to contact three optics companies' customer service departments - I bust the objective cap on my new Swarovski scope; I was struggling to find a stockist of a particular Zeiss lens; and I needed advice about a Leica UV/IR filter.

I emailed Swarovski about the objective cap, they replied immediately and within two days a replacement cap arrived along with a spare body cap for the other end of the objective module, all free of charge! Amazing!

After trying about ten mainstream photographic retailers, none had stock of the lens I wanted, nor could they tell me when they'd be able to get one. I emailed Zeiss directly, and within an hour they replied with the name, address and phone number of a small shop I'd never heard of, who had one in stock at a better price than many of the big online companies. It arrived the next day! Awesome!

I emailed Leica to ask about the filter and, three days later.... nothing. Tumbleweed drifting slowly past on the wind, and the faint sound of distant bells.... nothingness. Not a thing. Sinking into oblivion. Blackness. My leg has gone numb from waiting.

Hope this helps

Putting a filter may help but it may also hinder your picture. There is a lot of glass in a spotting scope. My advice would be to go to your nearest quality camera store.

Hiya, and thanks for that. In fact the enquiry about filters was regarding UV/IR cut filters for lenses which will be attached to a Leica M8 camera, essential to compensate for inadequate IT filtering at the sensor in that model. In the end Leica came through, and the filters arrived today! Faith restored...

Cheers,

Al

Over the last week I've had to contact three optics companies' customer service departments - I bust the objective cap on my new Swarovski scope; I was struggling to find a stockist of a particular Zeiss lens; and I needed advice about a Leica UV/IR filter.

I emailed Swarovski about the objective cap, they replied immediately and within two days a replacement cap arrived along with a spare body cap for the other end of the objective module, all free of charge! Amazing!

After trying about ten mainstream photographic retailers, none had stock of the lens I wanted, nor could they tell me when they'd be able to get one. I emailed Zeiss directly, and within an hour they replied with the name, address and phone number of a small shop I'd never heard of, who had one in stock at a better price than many of the big online companies. It arrived the next day! Awesome!

I emailed Leica to ask about the filter and, three days later.... nothing. Tumbleweed drifting slowly past on the wind, and the faint sound of distant bells.... nothingness. Not a thing. Sinking into oblivion. Blackness. My leg has gone numb from waiting.

I have tried to get away from emails and back to phone calls as of late. Not as convenient but if I need an answer, I like to know they got the question. I emailed one of the guys in our office last Friday morning with a question that really needed an answer by Monday morning. Got sidetracked and realized Friday night I never heard back from him. All set to tear in to him Monday morning but sometime Saturday a notification popped up that my email had not been delivered. Same thing happened on a text to a customer, sent with info regarding a pending order, near midnight the same night I got notice on my phone that it had failed (never knew they gave you notice) so I resent it.

If it's not important, text or email is fine, but if it's important enough that you would make a post about it, I would have made a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back