• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with young wild rabbit please? (1 Viewer)

Rathloriel

Fledgling
Is there anyone out there that can help me????
I've just taken on the care of a young wild rabbit that was caught by a cat.
I'm a veterinary nurse and it was brought into my practice.
Unfortunately our usual wildlife contact is unavailable at the moment so I'm pretty much on my own (the vets will just put it down!)!
The rabbit isn't injured but is very weak and shocked.
I think he is probably about 5 weeks old.
I have a bag of food arriving for him tomorrow (junior dwarf excel) and have him on Bio Lapis.
I'd like to get him a little stronger before I pass him onto a wildlife sanctuary as he looks pretty touch and go at the moment.
Obviously I'd rather get him through it with minimal contact so he could be released if/when he's strong enough.
If anyone has any advice at all it would be very much appreciated.

Was going to mention giving St Tiggywinkles a ring but was beaten to it.

Hope the rabbit pulls through...I've got a soft spot for them :t: At the moment there are so many youngsters up here in Northumberland - some so tiny they'd fit into your hand!

Let us know how things go - good or bad news.

Unfortunately he didn't make it through the night :-C
It looks as though he went in his sleep snuggled up to his hot water bottle.
Better than being eaten by the cat.
Thanks for your help, I'll make a note of that for next time.

That's wildlife for you - we had a fledgling magpie brought in today after another cat attack.
So far this one seems to be faring a lot better - typical of magpies!
Sigh

:flyaway:

Oh that IS a shame :-C But, as you say, it's Nature ( in a way as cats are not really natural predators ).

Good luck with the Maggie :t: I'm the odd one out up here in Northumberland as I actually like them!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back