• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (3 Viewers)

damn, it has a small p9 mirror! apparently only in the right wing though. this is rare in 3cy micha but i think we had 1-2 cases here already. age class is 3cy, cristian, don't forget we have the end of the year and birds looking like this (with smudges on primary coverts, 3rd gen. primaries with smaller mirrors and small apical spots) are 3rd winter types (which become 4cy at 1.01.).

October 13th - three birds (two pics for the first one - a 3cy?). IMHO, the second one looks more like a 4cy and about the third one I suppose it is a 3cy.

Attachments

• PA133148m.jpg
    PA133148m.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 60
  • PA133172m.jpg
    PA133172m.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 57
  • PA133128m.jpg
    PA133128m.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 59
  • PA133160m.jpg
    PA133160m.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
hi cristian,

quite interesting all these 3cy/"3rd winter" types. with such large smudges on primary coverts even the 2nd one is more likely a 3cy? this shows the strong variation in size of mirrors and apical spots for this age class. bird 2 might indeed be a retarded 4cy, especially since p9 mirror is actually too large for an acceptable 3rd winter but who knows? remember that most 4cy at this time of year are in their 4th cycle and as such (mostly) in full adult plumage.
ringed ind. should be studied... note that no 3 doesn't have any mirror at all - also a common sight in 3rd cycle michahellis!

Last edited:
Hi you clever gull id experts - a friend was in Turkey recently and got this lovely photo...my first thought was Yellow legged Gull but a mate has suggested maybe Yellowlegged Herring Gull?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• gull in turkey.jpg
    gull in turkey.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi you clever gull id experts - a friend was in Turkey recently and got this lovely photo...my first thought was Yellow legged Gull but a mate has suggested maybe Yellowlegged Herring Gull?

Any thoughts?

hi dryocopus,

herring gull would be a rare vagrant in turkey, esp. in the mediterranean. this is without doubt an adult YLG moulting its outer 2 primaries. yellow-legged argentatus can be excluded phenotypically on the large amount of black in primary tips (note that a lot of black would be added when p9 and 10 will be fully grown), bright yellow legs and lack of strong winter striation on head.

regards,

that's not so easy. a 3rd winter (3cy) type with small mirrors. normally the primary pattern matches michahellis, if it wasn't for the casual caspian with restricted mirrors at this age...the yellowish legs support YLG - a dark eyed...still i'd have liked a clear underwing or spread upperwing shot...

on the other hand - i just realized that it seems to have a very long ventral p10 tongue, let's say "impossible" for 3rd cycle YLG. if it is the p10 tongue indeed. let's ask the forum members but it seems to be a caspian with unusually small p10 mirror, no p9 mirror, yellowish legs (in winter, 3cy!) and a slightly bulbous bill tip....

Attachments

• 10 2010.10.29 dambovita cm PA294260m - Kopie.jpg
    10 2010.10.29 dambovita cm PA294260m - Kopie.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 203
A very cooperative Little Gull , from my last observation to Axios Delta.

Attachments

• Lar_min.JPG
    Lar_min.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 60
challenging, luke. with this venetian blind view only i'd suggest a YLG. however the tone of the coverts is pretty cold and i wonder if it's a graellsii LBBG with paler than normal inner webs to inner primaries?
i hope this is a quiz and you'll show us more than this pic soon?

your first suggestion is correct. 1st winter Yellow legged Gull.

Attachments

• YLGull 009.jpg
    YLGull 009.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back