• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

£500 to spend - what should I get? (1 Viewer)

sidewayspigeon said:
I purchased an ED50 (+ 27w MC eyepiece) a couple of months ago and it is certainly a good scope. However, after comparing it with my old Opticron HR66 (non-ED) + HDF eyepieces, I would not recommend the Nikon over the Opticron as someone’s ONLY scope. The Opticron (and I’d guess many other non-ED 60mm scopes – e.g. Nikon Fieldscope III and Kowa 601) is more pleasant to look through (perhaps because of the larger exit pupil resulting in easier eye placement and slightly brighter image) and the ability to bump the zoom up to 54x is INDISPENSIBLE at many of my birdwatching haunts (large freshwater wetlands and even larger estuaries). The Nikon does produce less chromatic aberration, slightly better colours and slightly better contrast, but in my book the Opticron wins - all things considered.

If I had no scope and had less than £500 to buy a new one, I’d go for a 60/66mm non-ED scope with zoom: the HR66 (£170 – MO return on w/hse express) + 28w HDF (£129) + 18-54x HDF (£159) = (£458); Kowa 602 (£239) + 20-60 eyepiece (£189); or Nikon Fieldscope III (£200 - MO return on w/hse express) + 20-60 eyepiece (£229). As to which of these three is best – I don’t know for sure, I’ve never tried them side-by-side. From what I’ve read, I’d guess that they could be ranked: Nikon; Kowa; Opticron.

That you could buy an ED50 now and, if you upgrade later, keep the ED50 as a travel scope is a good point – if you think you could cope without high magnification views for a while.

As other people have suggested, if you could go a bit above £500 or pick one up secondhand, then Opticron’s ES80ED and HR66ED (with HDF zoom) are two very good scopes - I’ve tried both and liked them very much. I’d say they beat anything I’ve mentioned above by some margin.

Regarding HR vs. GS, I tried a 65mm GS ED scope and found the image milky at higher magnifications with the HDF zoom – much worse than the non-ED HR66. The copy of the GS might have been a lemon though.

Iain

So the Kowa 602 seems inexpensive if, as sidewayspigeon hints, it is second only to the fieldscope III, which also looks great, but is about twice the price. Interesting! There are 4 eyepieces available for this scope: 20x, 25x, 30x, and 20-40x. ($200-$300) Any suggestions on which to pick?

I'm guessing this is a good buy, but I don't really know much about how scopes are priced because I don't know much of the basics. I'd be grateful if someone in the know could explain what a first time scope buyer should be looking for in the eyepiece, lens, and other things measured in milimeters - maybe in a PM so everone on this thread won't roll their eyes at my aloofness. :-O

Last edited:
sidewayspigeon said:
I would not recommend the Nikon over the Opticron as someone’s ONLY scope.
Ah no, I wouldn't recommend it as one's ONLY scope at all. You need to take out the big guns sometimes. To labour the metaphor, occupying forces favour big powerful tripod-mounted things like M60's, mounted on APC's or in pill-boxes. "Insurgents" worldwide favour the AK47. The former packs punch, the latter packs mobility. It's a pretty accurate if totally spurious analogy. ;)

pduxon said:
Hi Perry

I've NEVER looked through a GS so can't compare it the others. I usually mention the HR66ED because it is an excellent scope (been around a while but is still as good there is for the money) but then the ES80ED is another scope I like rather a lot. If possible I'd try and compare them, I'm not sure how easy it that is.

Didn't get a chance to look through the HR scope, but plumped for the ES80 today. Decided not to trade in my IS60 and SLIK travel tripod - will hang on to it as a lightweight alternative. I'll let you know how I get on on once I've been out with it a few times!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back