• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A ? to those in Ohio (1 Viewer)

The_BirdMaster_09

I know some of you must live in Ohio.

So has anyone seen any here yet? I live 2-3 counties south or so of Cleveland, but I'm not putting my feeders out until April 30th, that is my official date.

Using that date you are probably missing much of the northbound migration.

I put my feeders out WAY too early last year though. Put them out the middle of April and didn't see a single hummer until early May.

I usually don't see my first bird until somewhere between May 4-6.

I put my feeders up when I saw the marks for Ohio on the migration map and didn't see any hummers for weeks. Besides, our weather isn't stable yet. We've had it go from 70-75 all the way to 40! Tommorow it will be around 80 and it is in the mid 50's right now.

Well I've bumped that date back to the 25th, which is tommorow.

I was thinking the 27th yesterday but I decided it would be good during this heat wave we're having...

Well obviously I got my feeders up at just the right time. Put them up 2 days ago.

Today I saw my first bird of the season. We are having carpenter bees coming near our back porch, well I heard buzzing thinking it was a bee above my head, I turned around, and very suprised...there was the hummingbird hovering and drinking. My reaction must have sent the bird on its way.

Went up to the front of the house and he was about to go to a feeder then he took towards the lilac, then went to a near by Wild Cherry tree that is in full bloom.

Didn't see the guy any more and couldn't tell if it was a male or female. I'm sure more activity will follow. I will look in to putting my feeders up on the 25th every year.

By the way, name's Jason.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back