• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Closeout spotter for $39.99! (1 Viewer)

Frank:

I got mine a few days ago, and I have not had it outside yet. Been busy, and snowy here.
I have done some viewing from indoors. The quality seems good, and it focuses nicely.

I also find it a good value for the price. I will probably gift it to one of my grandkids some
day. My comparison was with a Nikon FS III, and that is in a different class.

Jerry

Thanks for posting your comments/experiences gentlemen. I wanted to comment further about the tripod I ordered to go with this scope. I will copy/paste what I posted over in the binocular bargains thread.

The Brunton aluminum tripod I linked and posted about earlier in this thread arrived today. Two thumbs up from my limited inspection of it so far. Is it a Bogen- Manfrotto? No, not quite but it is infinitely better than the cheap digital camera tripods at or below the price point these are now discounted to. I took a couple of pics with an 82 mm scope mounted on it and next to a Bogen-Manfrotto 3001 BN leg/3130 head combo so you have a reference of the size. At my 6'4" height I could just barely peek into the scope with the legs fully extended. This is definitely a tripod that will work with tall individuals. Very stable and the movement of the pan and tilt head is smooth/fluid. Pics are too large to post here so I uploaded them to my Flickr account. Links below:

https://flic.kr/p/BwTGTf

https://flic.kr/p/Cupso4

https://flic.kr/p/CjQDn5

https://flic.kr/p/BVUb9V

I look forward to seeing further comments ..............

My Bresser Spektar 15-45X60 spotting scope arrived a week or so ago (delivered by the brown truck) and it turned out to be a great buy. Thanks Frank!

For that price, one would expect the cheap plastic lens junk found in a department store to use as a Christmas Season stocking stuffer. This not the case at all for this Besser. It is the real deal, just on a lesser scale than the expensive stuff.

I compared it with a Zen-Ray Prime 25-50X82 spotting scope. As one would expect, the Zen-Ray wins in all areas to varying degrees but at the cost of more size, more weight and a much higher price (currently listed by Cameraland at $1,300).

Build Quality: In one word, solid, and way above the price point. The armor fits well and has a feel and look in line with other non alpha products. The mechanics work as expected, but slightly on the stiff side. The zoom and focus are a little stiff but not to the point where adjusting them moves the scope off the aim point when on a tripod. The lens hood and collar rotating ring work as expected without the problems as described in a couple of other posts. Overall, the optics look clean with only a couple of very small specs.

The focus adjustment is just one speed compared to many scopes that have a fast and fine adjustment mechanism. I think the speed used is a good compromise. It is fast enough to go between distance extremes without having to turn and turn and turn, yet it is still slow enough to get a sharp focus without a lot of hunting. I think the stiffness actually helps in reducing over shooting the fine focus point.

A comment was made above about the ring at the base of the eye piece. Turning it counter clockwise allows the eye piece to be unthreaded from the body. Once off, the eye piece rotates within the ring. The machining of the threads was fine and I had no trouble in getting the eye piece back on. Since the eye piece rotates within the ring, center the red dot showing the power setting just before finally tightening the ring. It is best to have it off about 10 degrees before tightening the last little bit and the dot will align right in place. I took a look inside the body with eye piece removed and did not see anything unusual (for an non expert like me).

Optics and the View: The scope does not have quite the brightness and contrast of the Zen-Ray, but it is more than adequate. Sharpness is good, but does fall off toward the edges, to some degree and that is more noticeable at higher powers. I had no problem distinguishing and enjoying the fine feather detail on close birds dining on some feeders. Color balance is close to neutral, much more so than many optics at the lower price points. The photos posted by Frank demonstrate that it does provide a legitimate view.

The view holds up well through most of the power range. I start to become consciously aware of a drop off in the view somewhere between 35 and 40X. I suspect most of my viewing will be done at 40X or below, but 45X is still usable if that last bit of magnification is needed.

Eye Relief: The eye-relief is fine throughout the full power range when viewing without eye glasses. However that is not the case with glasses on. I suspect most will be able to see the full view at the lowest power but not at full zoom when wearing glasses. The eye piece has an eye cup that turns out and is rubber coated on the edges. I have it turned all the way out at lower power without glasses and turned halfway in at full power. However, at full power with glasses and with the eye cup turned all the way in, I am unable to get the full view.

Other Comments: The scope comes with a nice nylon case with snap on rings for an included shoulder strap. The case should do a good job in protecting the body. There is a long zipper opening on the side to allow for the removal of the case. Once you figure out how the case goes on and off, it is not that difficult to do. My only complaint is the case is loose and does get in the way of operating the focus knob on the side. I suspect over time I will adjust to it.

I am not a big scope person and in a way, consider them a necessary evil when more detail is desired. I find them heavy, ackward, and time consuming to set up and use. Scopes to me do not add to the aesthetics of a view as do binoculars, such as a Nikon 8X30 EII. This is true for the Besser. However, it does a good job in providing that detail to id a target or to enjoy the detail of something close range such as the feather patterns of birds on a near by feeder. It provides a good quality center view that gets the job done, but not at quite the same level of a $1,000 plus scope.

My primary use for this scope will be to keep it in the rear seat of the truck and pull it out for long range id's, primarily ducks on the far edges of ponds that I view in the Arizona high country during the summer. The small size and light weight should be a good fit for my application. I suspect I will also carry it on short walks for some of the long range viewing areas.

If I did not know the price and someone said it was in the $300 to $400 price range, I would accept that. At $39, it is an absolute steal! Again, thanks Frank for taking the risk in purchasing the first one and then sharing your find with the rest of us.

Frank - How do you think it would work with a monopod with the zoom set at about 20 to 25 power? Seeing it is s small light weight scope, the smaller size and weight of a monopod may be a good combination for when the goal is to get a short look at something.

As mentioned above in the first part of this post, I sometimes like to use a scope for long range spotting of ducks on the various ponds during summer mountain trips.. The Zen-Ray does a great job, but it is rather time consuming and a pain to set it up multiple times when going from pond to pond. My plan for the small light weight Besser is use it on a monopod so that I can quickly get it set up and make the id.

Below is a photo of the Besser on an inexpensive monopod from Cabelas's. I have been playing around with it at the house for the last few days and it seems to work just fine.

There is beauty in simplicity. The pole screws directly to the base of the scope. There is no moving head unit. Setup is just a quick full extension of the lower two leg sections and about a 2 inch extension of the top leg section. The exact amount for the top section will vary depending on the height of the user. Actually, the top extension of a couple of inches can be left as is to eliminate one step.

There is no moving head unit so aiming the scope is as simple as changing the angle of the pole by moving back a step or so to aim higher or moving forward a step or two to aim lower. Changes to the left or right is done by just turning the pole. Everything pivots on the foot of the pole resting on the ground. Simple!

The view is fairly steady for me up to around 30-35X power on good solid level ground. Steadiness is similar to to that of a 10X - 12X binocular at that power. It is still usable at full zoom, but it takes more concentration and effort to hold steady.

The length of the assembly from the foot of the pole to the top of the body is about 25 1/2 inches (62.2 cm) and total weight of the scope, pole and case is about 3 lb 7 oz. (1560 grams). The small size and light weight of the complete package is such that I intend to keep it assembled when storing it on the rear seat of the truck and when carrying it in the field.

One change I would like to make is to add a gripping foam shoulder pad to the shoulder strap. I need to check out Op-Tech to see what they offer.

So far, all looks good. I guess I will find out next summer if everything works out as expected.

Here is a link to the pole on the Cabelas's web site (currently backordered)......

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabe..._l=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=cab-100

I bought mine on sale a year or so ago for around $11. The "V" rest piece (as shown in the Cabelas's picture) on top of the pole screws off exposing the screw to attach to the base of the scope.

Attachments

• IMG_2322 Resized.jpg
    IMG_2322 Resized.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 146
Hi All,
I have the new plate and they do fit but don't lock in tight. the ones that come with the
tripod fit. check out the bottom of the plate were the notch line up. the plate will not move
I have put electrical tape around the new plate that help to keep it in place., that's why
I'm buying one more carbon tripod. Brunton will send you plates for free but there metal
and will slip if you don't put something around the plate, I did buy the one from Botach
that a good deal. was thinking of buying the aluminum one just for one more plate
still thinking, thinking thinking.

Hi All,
I have the new plate and they do fit but don't lock in tight. the ones that come with the
tripod fit. ............. Brunton will send you plates for free but there metal
and will slip if you don't put something around the plate, ........

By "new plate" are you referring to the replacements made by Manfrotto?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/878358-REG/Manfrotto_200PL_Mounting_Plate.html

Also I take it from your post that Brunton supplies a plate with the tri-pod, but it is different than the plate they will send separately if asked.

In otherwords, are we talking about three different plates?
- The one supplied with the tri-pod.
- The one made by Manfrotto.
- A replacement plate supplied separately from Brunton that differs from the one that came with the tripod.

Thanks.

The one that Brunton sent me is the same as Manfrotto, the one that came with the tripod
has the bottom notch that holds the plate. I will take picture of the bottom of plate to show
the different, I'm at work now. I will try to get them up tomorrow.

I just tried my Bogen-Manfrotto plate in the Brunton tripod. It easily fit in the slot and locked down completely when I turned the lock down lever.

The one plate that come with the tripod work great, the new one that Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto plate
is a little different on on the under side, their is no notch and the plate side out even with the lock down
lever in place I would like to buy a couple of plate that come with the tripod, I have 5 of the new
plates that don't work all the good.

Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto

The Brunton and Bogen-Manfotto plate don't have the notch
to hold the plate from moving on the under side

Attachments

• 20151227_174106.jpg
    20151227_174106.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 85
SoCal .... Thanks for posting the photos! I searched the net for a while trying to find a match to the one supplied with the tripod but no luck.

I wonder if Frank had success with the Manfrotto plate because he bought the AL tripod whereas you purchased the carbon tripod. Maybe the head units have some differences. Frank should be getting a carbon unit soon so hopefully he can tell us of any differences and maybe post a photo.

I did some more searching looking for additional specs on the carbon fiber Brunton tripod and came across this tripod on the B & H site. I think it may be the same model and Botach changed the model number from F-TPOD-340-CB to 81-230318 for the closeout.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...UTDOOR_f_tpod_340_cb_Carbon_Fiber_Tripod.html

If my assumption is correct and B&H specs are correct, the fully extended height is 5 feet, 6 inches. That should work for a straight scope for most folks.

Optics Planet is still selling the Brunton model number scope for $289.99.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/brunton-4-section-carbon-fiber-tripod-w-removeable-pan-head.html

I saw those as well Bruce. The next cheapest price I found on the carbon model was $99.99 and the average price was significantly more.

The 5'6" height is without the column extended so I imagine even my 6'4" frame should be able to make use of it.

I will compare the two head plates when I receive it. Hopefully by Friday. ;)

Frank, If you click on the specs tab on the B & H listing, they show "Maximum Height 5.62' (1.71 m)" on one line and show "Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 4.64' (1.41 m) " on the next line. It would be great if you could measure yours once it arrives. I ordered mine today with the free economy shipping so it will probably show up sometime next year!

Even at your height of 6'4", it should still work for you since the scope (or a camera) adds a few more inches and most folks usually have there feet apart for extra stability. Also, many people lean into the scope a little which lowers the head some more. I currently use a basic Monfrotto that maxes out at about 4 ft 8 inches. I am 5' 11" and have no problem with a camera and only extend the column part way for my angled Zen-Ray Prime scope.

Last edited:
I gave one of the little Bresser scopes to each of my two sons and their families. With 4 grandkids and the eldest just 9, I thought the low cost, rugged scope should be ideal for beginners. I also bought one with the idea that it could ride in my car permanently, so as to be available whenever needed. I would not do that with a better scope, but for $40, there's not much risk. Here are some things learned about the three scopes I had:

1.I took out the eyepiece and held a bright flashlight at an angle in front of the eyepiece field lens (this works best at the 15x setting). All three eyepieces had varying degrees of "specks" visible inside. Whether it is dust between the lenses, small bubbles in the cementing, or coating imperfections I cannot tell. One scope had very little of this, but the other two had more. In no case was this visible during normal daytime viewing. I have not tried the scope on a bright star - that might show something. l gave the two best scopes as gifts.

2. Now some good news. I've been able to make two adapters to increase scope utility. The first adapter is to convert the zoom to use in 1.25" standard focusers. The threading on the bottom ring of the eyepiece is metric, 0.75 mm pitch. Attached to this adapter, the zoom will come to focus at infinity (though just barely) in my Pentax PF65EDiia and gives a decent image throughout the power range. It also works in my astro-refractors, but I have little use for a zoom there. The OTHER adapter is much more useful and interesting, since it allows several wider field 1.25" fixed FL eyepieces to be used with the spotter. Similar to the adaptation of 26mm 2" eyepieces to Pentax scopes, on this one, several 1.25" eyepieces have lower barrels that can be removed and present a short, male threaded section a little over 28 mm in diameter, threaded metric, 0.60 mm pitch. Some eyepieces like this I've found are the 20 mm SWA (from Agena and Garrett), the Agena 15 mm SWA, and "Flat Field" eyepieces of 27mm, 19 mm, 16 mm, and 12 mm, branded variously Smart Astronomy and BST. All of these give a much larger AFOV than the zoom at any setting. The views through these eyepieces are pretty nice and since the focus in this scope moves part of the objective, no focusing problems arise. This of course eliminates any problems that might come up with the zoom lens imperfections mentioned above. I made the adapter by knurling the outside of a 2" diameter disk 1/2" thick. The top is bored and threaded to take the eyepiece bottom threading and the bottom of the disk bored and threaded to fit on the scope eyepiece port. See three attached photos of this adapter.

3. Now for some not-so-good news. Since the zoom is labeled with power rather than eyepiece focal length, it cannot be easily used to measure objective focal length using the idea that scope magnification is the ratio of the entrance and exit pupils AND ALSO the ratio of objective focal length to eyepiece focal length. But now with some known FL eyepieces usable with the adapter, this method should work. My first measurement with the 16 mm FF yielded a 2.2 mm exit pupil and using the 27 mm FF the measurement was 3.7 mm. I used 60 mm as the entrance pupil (objective diameter) and so calculated the objective focal length to be 436 and 438, respectively. With two place precision measurements, F = 440 mm. Unfortunately, a glance at the scope and a meter stick confirms that this measurement is not even close to being correct! Based on the physical length of the scope, the objective FL must be more than 300 mm but cannot be over 400 mm! What's going on?

Peering through the empty eyepiece port, I discovered that the whole of the objective is NOT visible from the eyepiece position. There is apparently a stop that limits the aperture of the scope to less than its 60 mm objective lens diameter. I recalled the "flashlight test" for aperture that was developed and used a lot on the Binocular forum of Cloudy Nights website, so tried that. Using that test, the effective aperture at which the scope operates is 44 mm! Plugging that back into the entrance-exit pupil relationship and recalculating gives objective FL of 320 and 321 mm respectively. Based on the claimed scope power, the corresponding zoom FL would be 21 mm to 7 mm.

There may be some variation among scopes, so you might want to recheck with your scope, but my three were all pretty close. If these measurements and observations are correct, the little Bresser scope still turns out to be a good bargain for the money - for a knockabout or beginner's scope - but perhaps not the absolute STEAL that it first appeared to be.

I hope to take apart the zoom eyepiece to see just what caused the "speckling" and whether it can be cleaned up or fixed - or not. Doesn't look like a fun task since it is obviously not designed to be taken apart by the user.

If you were lucky enough to buy one of these scopes at the closeout sale price, I hope you enjoy it, despite the few shortcomings listed above. I'm pretty happy with mine, as are my grandkids. - Bill

Attachments

• Bresser1.jpg
    Bresser1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Bresser2.jpg
    Bresser2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 122
  • Bresser3.jpg
    Bresser3.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back