• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10x30is - weatherproof (1 Viewer)

fmorais

Hi all.

I have a pair of 10x30is Canon's. Are they rainproof ? (i.e. Can I take them to Scotland?)
From the manual and also from opinions on this and other forums, the answer is not clear to me. They have rubber coating, but...
Since I bought them last September, I do not use them when it's raining (I use them in pelagics though).

Thanks
Frederico

Hi all.

I have a pair of 10x30is Canon's. Are they rainproof ? (i.e. Can I take them to Scotland?)
From the manual and also from opinions on this and other forums, the answer is not clear to me. They have rubber coating, but...
Since I bought them last September, I do not use them when it's raining (I use them in pelagics though).

Thanks
Frederico

The only Canon IS glasses that are rated as 'all weather' are the 10x42 and the big 15 and 18x50 models.
The 10x30 is noted as having a water resistant rubber coating, but nothing more. So the glass will not dissolve in your hands, it will merely stop functioning on encountering Scottish weather.

Thanks for the reply.

So, even if they don't get ruined forever because of humidity, the IS part won't work. Right?
It seems there's no advantage in taking them, and I should take a classic pair instead.

Regards
Frederico

Unfortunately, that is the case.
You might be lucky and not get the glass so wet that its internal electronics go on strike, but that is an unpleasant risk to take. There are of course jury rigs you could use, plastic bagging the glass if it rains for instance, but that detracts from the utility and performance of the gear.
You are better off with a less technical glass, imho, unless you can use the occasion to switch to one of the all weather options. The 10x42 is brilliant optically and fully waterproof, as I can attest.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back