• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (3 Viewers)

Attachments

• birdsofconservationconcern4_tcm9-410743.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Highlights from this weekend:

1 male Blackcap along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood on Saturday.
1 Lesser Redpoll feeding on Willowherb seeds with Goldfinches in Coney Meadow
3 Yellowhammers at Tapenhall yesterday.
3 Snipes in front of screen at Coney

Nuthatches, Treecreepers, Goldcrests, Raven, Canada Geese, lots of Winter Thrushes, a few Skylarks over, Kestrel, sparrowhawk, Buzzards, Water Rails, Grey Wagtails, Coal Tits and most of the usual stuff for the time of year.

A decent roost of Starlings now gathering at Coney - at least 700 last night.

A nominate Chiffchaff along the canal just west of Salwarpe village and a Lapwing in the fields to the north west of the village this morning.

Both patch year ticks.

Also a drake Tufted Duck flew over Mildenham with Mallards - another year tick.

Last edited:
A roundup of this weekend's birds:

1 Chiffchaff
1 Lapwing
1 Tufted Duck
2 Snipe
1 Yellowhammer

Possibly as many as 1000 Starlings roosting.

Nuthatches, Goldcrests, Cormorants, Green and Great Spot Woodpeckers, 200+ Canada Geese, Grey Heron, Meadow Pipits, Stock Doves, Pied Wagtails, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, 5+ Ravens, Treecreepers, Coal Tits, a few Siskins and Repolls, winter thrushes, Reed Buntings etc.

A roundup of this weekend's birds:

1 Chiffchaff
1 Lapwing
1 Tufted Duck
2 Snipe
1 Yellowhammer

Possibly as many as 1000 Starlings roosting.

Nuthatches, Goldcrests, Cormorants, Green and Great Spot Woodpeckers, 200+ Canada Geese, Grey Heron, Meadow Pipits, Stock Doves, Pied Wagtails, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards, 5+ Ravens, Treecreepers, Coal Tits, a few Siskins and Repolls, winter thrushes, Reed Buntings etc.

GREAT WHITE EGRET reported yesterday flew over Ladywood and landed in a large tree on private land at Porter's Mill (Lloyd Evans as per WorcesterBirding)

just some pics from the weekend.
1 Wood pigeon 2 and 3 starling roost

Attachments

• IMG_2601.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG
    833.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 108
Had a quick hour tonight, canal only frozen in a few places which made easy to spot the Kingfisher hunting, Starlings managed 30+,20+Feildfare, few Redwing in the dust, Water Rail calling from 3 different places,2 Snipe flew out.

Attachments

• IMG_2628.JPG
    IMG_2628.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2627.JPG
    IMG_2627.JPG
    698.7 KB · Views: 81
Mild and mainly spring-like conditions tempted several birds into song, including Blackbird, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Redwing, Dunnock and Coal Tit.

~30 Linnets feeding in the paddocks near Ladywood (this species has been unusually scarce and localised lately).
A few Siskins and Lesser Redpolls
Very large numbers of Fieldfares and Redwings (easily 500+)
30 Canada Geese
Treecreepers
Nuthatch
Goldcrests
Skylark
Grey Herons
Cormorants
Reed Buntings
Grey Wagtail
Pied Wagtails
Meadow pipits
Buzzards
Displaying Ravens
Sparrowhawks
Kestrels
Mute Swans

Male Tawny Owl hooting at High Park tonight and a female calling at Salwarpe village.
15 Red-legged Partridges in fields just north-west of Salwarpe village.
Tufted Duck (drake) near Hawford on small pool
2 Snipes in field next to Coney meadow this evening (one in front of screen yesterday)
Ravens nest-building

Other birds recorded this weekend;

200+ Canada Geese, Grey Herons, Cormorants, a few Redpolls, Siskins, Linnet, Skylarks, Goldcrests, Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Bullfinches, Fieldfares, Redwings, Reed Buntings, Mistle Thrushes, Buzzards, Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Water Rails, Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtails, Pied wagtails, etc.

Housing Development Proposal

It seems those naughty developers have re-submitted plans to build 163 houses south of Chawson Lane (case number 15/03199):

http://www.e-wychavon.org.uk/script...&RIPNAME=Root.Pages.PgeDC.PgePlanningRegister

These proposed houses would be in addition to the 700+ already going ahead at Copcut Rise and goodness knows how many at Yew Tree Hill.

I have lodged my objections (as with the original, withdrawn, plan) based on the following:

• Insufficient infrastructure / roads etc.
  • Salwarpe will lose its identity as a separate village
  • Increase in traffic / pollution / road hazards
  • Loss of rural aspect and amenity value
  • Impact on local wildlife - particularly Glow worms, Slow worms, Mammals, Cuckoos
, Yellowhammers, Skylarks etc.

If anyone would like to comment on the proposed development, please feel free to follow the link and hit the comment link - I think comments can still be made even though the consultation date has expired.

Thanks...

Last edited:
Hi Dave, where's the best place for the partridges on your patch? I wandered around all afternoon and didn't get any-I still haven't seen any this year!

Thanks, Jared

Hi Dave, where's the best place for the partridges on your patch? I wandered around all afternoon and didn't get any-I still haven't seen any this year!

Thanks, Jared

Hi Jared,

Unfortunately, it varies quite a lot and I can go a few weeks without seeing any. There were loads around Tapenhall and Hawford in the autumn (released) but I think a lot of those have been shot. I saw about 20 near Hawford at the weekend but I consider these a bit too 'plastic' to be honest.

The ones I saw near Salwarpe on Sunday were flushed from the field along the bridleway that leads up towards High Park. This bridle path is accessed from the west of the village by Mill Cottage - follow it across the very muddy cow field to the metal gate and they were in the field beyond. I was looking for a Barn Owl that has reportedly been seen using an old tree along there - however, no sign of that on Sunday.

Weekend highlights:

2 Little Grebes Tapenhall
Tufted Duck (drake) Mildenham / Hawford
1 Snipe Coney Meadow yesterday
7 Red-legged Partridges just north-west of Salwarpe this afternoon
Siskins over Mildenham (7) and feeding in trees around Droitwich Community Woods (~15)
Linnets (11) near Salwarpe

Water Rail, Grey Herons, Cormorants, Redwings, Kingfisher, Goldcrests, Canada Goose, Meadow Pipits, singing Skylark, Fieldfares, Ravens, Greenfinches, Bullfinches, Treecreepers, Nuthatch, Coal Tits, Mistle Thrushes, Sparrowhawks, male Kestrel, Buzzards, the 3 regular Gull species, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Reed Buntings, Song Thrushes, Jays, Goldfinches, Starlings, House Sparrows, Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtails, Long-tailed Tits, Blue and Great Tits, Dunnocks, Rooks, Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, Moorhens, Wrens, Robins, Collared Doves, Stock Doves, Woodpigeons, Mallards, Mute Swans.

Below are a few photos of the floods:

Attachments

• Mildenham.jpg
    Mildenham.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Mildenham (2).jpg
    Mildenham (2).jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Salwarpe - Ladywood.jpg
    Salwarpe - Ladywood.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 56
  • View of Harford Hill.jpg
    View of Harford Hill.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 65
Fairly routine stuff this weekend:

2 Water rails showing well in front of the screen at Coney on Sunday
1 Snipe
5 Skylarks near Tapenhall
A few Siskins over
Singing Chaffinches - a definite sign that spring is on its way
Goldcrests, Nuthatch, singing Treecreeper, Ravens, Canada Geese, winter Thrushes, 2 Kestrels, Sparrowhawks, Cormorants, Coal Tits, Grey Wagtails, Meadow pipits (8), Bullfinches, Greenfinches, Reed Buntings, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Grey Heron, Mistle Thrushes, Pied Wagtails, Buzzards, Stock Doves, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back