• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

A Hobby flew over Coney at ~10:30 this morning.

Little Owl showing at Ladywood.

Yellow Wagtail flew over calling at Linacre bridge and 2 Lesser Whitethroats there.

Yellowhammer at Jacob's Ladder.

A Yellow Wagtail flew over calling between Mildenham and Hawford this morning. A Lesser Whitethroat was amongst the warblers along there.

A Hobby flew over Egg Lane.

Further news from yesterday:

A Tawny Owl calling from Salwarpe at dusk.

A Lesser Whitethroat between Salwarpe and Ladywood.

A Painted Lady feeding on Lucerne amongst the grass ley adjacent to Coney Meadow.

There seems to be quite a decent passage of Yellow Wagtails at the moment. This morning saw one over near Chatley and at least two over Egg Lane.

Little Owl at Ladywood, Tufted Duck and 4+ Coots between Chatley and Hawford.
A Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroats, Reed Warblers, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. Several large flocks of hirundines including 150 or more House Martins around Ladywood.

Several RL Partridges around Ladywood and Egg Lane. Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and Buzzard, Nuthatches, Treecreeper ( singing) and most of the more common species.

Further news from yesterday: Willow Warbler singing near Hawford and Water Rail calling from Coney Meadow.

Juv Whinchat Coney Meadow perched on reeds and bushes. Lesser Whitethroat also.

Hobby earlier over stubble field near Tapenhall put up Linnet flock of c 200 birds.

Miatle Thrushes, Cormorants, Coal Tit, Ravens.

A Yellow Wagtail flew over Porter's Mill car park this morning and another (a male) flew over Chawson Lane towards Salwarpe later on.

A Lesser Whitethroat was in a hedge near salwarpe.

Further items from Friday:

3 Lesser Whitethroats together near the west gate Coney Meadow together with a selection of warblers including a Willow Warbler, Reed warbler and lots of Blackcaps. A Tufted Duck was on Tapenhall pool.

Distribution of Yellow Wag Sightings 2016

2016 has been an excellent year for Yellow Wagtail sightings on the patch with at least 20 recorded so far (with records in April, May, July, August and September). The map below shows the distribution of sightings along with the dates:

Attachments

• Yellow Wagtail sightings 2016.jpg
    Yellow Wagtail sightings 2016.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 51
Distribution of Redstart Sightings 2016

Redstart sightings have been good this year also - with a total of 10 so far, four of which were in spring (which is unusual for the patch). Only 1 record comes from Coney Meadow - the rest are from areas around Tapenhall, Chatley, Mildenham, Egg Lane and Jacob's Ladder. The distribution is shown on the map below, along with the dates:

Attachments

• Redstart sightings 2016.jpg
    Redstart sightings 2016.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 48
A few more items from yesterday:

A Tawny Owl calling from Salwarpe at dusk.

100's of House Martins and Swallows feeding over clover fields along Chawson Lane (estimated ~400+).

Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Reed Warblers, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Buzzards and Grey Wagtails noted.

A Little Grebe, Tufted Duck, Coots and Kestrel between Chatley and Hawford this morning.

2 Peregrines on pylons viewed from Middleton Bank / Copcut Lane.

Does anyone know if the cattle are usually able to access the public footpath that goes from by the lock at Egg Lane down to the little bridge over the Salwarpe? We wondered if they were there temporarily to graze off this years plant growth.

I've just seen a Quail between New Mill Ladywood and Tapenhall - it ran across the lane through a gateway and into a tilled field where I watched it for about a minute before it flew strongly into cover in the field margin. Tiny dumpy thing stripey distinct face pattern.

I've just seen a Quail between New Mill Ladywood and Tapenhall - it ran across the lane through a gateway and into a tilled field where I watched it for about a minute before it flew strongly into cover in the field margin. Tiny dumpy thing stripey distinct face pattern.

Top patch record Dave :t:

Top patch record Dave :t:

A patch tick for me. About 7 years ago Gordon Greaves told me he had a singing Quail near Ladywood when he was on a walk one evening.

Phil B told me today that someone had a singing Quail this year near Fernhill Heath but they didn't report it to Worcester Birding.

Further birds from today:

A Yellow Wagtail flew over Mildenham calling.

About 20 Lapwings landed in a field beyond Hawford.

Warblers included Blackcaps and Common Whitethroat.

Plenty of hirundines passing through - including 3 Sand Martins flying past Egg Lane.

Ravens, Coal Tits, Buzzards, Kestrel and a couple of Skylarks calling high overhead.

A male Redstart between Mildenham and Chatley this morning.

5 Mandarins flew over Hawford.

2 Little Grebes between Hawford and Chatley - a juv and an adult - plus Tufted Duck, 2 Cormorants, 3 Coots and Grey Heron plus a Kestrel.

Several loose flocks of Meadow Pipits over - my first of the autumn.

A couple of Lesser Whitethroats and lots of Chiffchaffs among the warblers.

A Snipe flew around and landed in Coney reedbed this evening - my first of the autumn. Several Water Rails also calling from the reedbed.

A Peregrine over Chatley this morning.

A late Sedge Warbler at Tapenhall pool this morning.

Lots of Meadow Pipits overhead in widespread locations.

2 Skylarks over Coney / Salwarpe this morning.

A drake Tufted Duck between Hawford and Chatley and then the same bird later a Tapenhall.

2 Lesser Whitethroats at Coney Meadow plus Reed Warbler. Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs still fairly plentiful as are Swallows and House Martins.

A flock of 17 Cormorants over Ladywood on Friday could be a patch record.

Also Nuthatches, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Buzzards, Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Grey Herons, Coots, Reed Buntings, Linnets, Grey Wagtails, RL Partridges, Stock Doves, Ravens etc.

Butterflies included Red Admiral and a Small Copper (last week).

A male Stonechat briefly at Coney Meadow mid morning. Kestrel, Buzzard and Sparrowhawk plus House Martins and Blackcaps. Four Skylarks and several Mipits over.

2 Yellowhammers near Chatley plus two Coots.

Two Mandarins over Tapenhall plus seven Skylarks and plenty of Swallows over. 2 Ravens.

A Reed Warbler at Porter's Mill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back