• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic LX100 (1 Viewer)

scotview

Hi,

Has anyone experience of the LX100 ?

3x optical zoom, so should be good for reducing vignetting.

LCD and HiRes viewfinder.

4K video recording.

I am currently using a SonyRX100 mainly for video and image grabbing.

The Pana LX100 allows for extraction of 8mp jpeg images from the video stream, interesting.

Handled one in John Lewis, it is slightly larger than a compact and has a physically longish lense when extended but should fit behind a scope eyepiece. A universal adaptor like the Seben DKA1 would probably be needed.

I have carried out a brief test of the LX100.
I used a Celestron Scope with a Hyperion Zoom lens and a Seben DKA1 universal adaptor.

I currently use a Sony RX100 and it completely removes vignetting with it's lens at about 2.5X zoom. The travel of the RX100 lens is also fairly small.

The LX100 had vignetting throughout it's zoom range.

The lens travel of the LX100 when zooming is significant so there is ample opportunity for the camera lens to clash with the scope eyepiece.

These are my observations, perhaps the LX100 will work with another arrangement. It is a pity since the LX100 would have been a nice upgrade to 4K from the RX100.

Scotview

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back