• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping with Panasonic GH4 (1 Viewer)

Neil,

I am amazed at the quality of your 4K videograbs. They are outstanding!

Mike

Thanks Mike. It won't be long before we'll only be shooting 4k video and taking stills off the video.
I've uploaded a 4k version of the video up to Youtube. It's shot in vertical mode so that I could get more of the birds in the frame. My intention at the time was to use the clip to grab stills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDMnCf7NrpI&feature=youtu.be
Watch the video in the max rez of your screen.
Neil.

Neil,
Do you require use of a balance rail when using the GH4 with a fluid head and your scope. I have the Kowa 884 and am contemplating the GH4 but expect I will also need a balance rail to match this to my fluid head. I know the Swaro has its own balance rail and realize you may be using this but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks,
Frank

Neil,
Do you require use of a balance rail when using the GH4 with a fluid head and your scope. I have the Kowa 884 and am contemplating the GH4 but expect I will also need a balance rail to match this to my fluid head. I know the Swaro has its own balance rail and realize you may be using this but thought I would ask anyway. Thanks,
Frank

Frank,
Yes, with the Swaro scopes I normally use the Swarovski balance rail.
With the Kowa Lens/scope I sometimes use the Kowa Support Bracket as this combo is quite long and the big lens hood picks up a lot of vibration from the wind. In fact if I'm shooting in the hide ( my usual way) then I take it off.
If you are only using one camera then this is a good solution.
The Kowa bracket makes it easier to pan and follow the birds too.
Neil.

Neil,
Forgive me, had forgotten had asked you about this lens on the GH4 Digiscoping thread. Unless you have tried it out since your response to that query please ignore this redundant question about the 25 mm lens.

Neil,

I am amazed at the quality of your 4K videograbs. They are outstanding!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I forgot to mention that I wasn't using an ND Filter in the bright light in Florida so had to bump the Shutter speed up to to control exposure. I was shooting at 1/1300 second on occasions. This did mean though that I could get sharp stills of the video.
Neil.

Hi Neil,

I'm also very impressed with your video grabs. Just wanted to know how you rate the oled viewfinder? Read recently that viewfinders are lagging way behind the screens - no such thing as a 4k viewfinder or anywhere close even with broadcast cameras. But maybe they aren't absolutely necessary? How close does yours come to an optical viewfinder? How much better (if any) would it have to be?

Cheers

Phil

P.S. Still enjoying my sx60!

Hi Neil,

I'm also very impressed with your video grabs. Just wanted to know how you rate the oled viewfinder? Read recently that viewfinders are lagging way behind the screens - no such thing as a 4k viewfinder or anywhere close even with broadcast cameras. But maybe they aren't absolutely necessary? How close does yours come to an optical viewfinder? How much better (if any) would it have to be?

Cheers

Phil

P.S. Still enjoying my sx60!

Phil,
It's better than the sx60 viewfinder and ok for water birds in good light. It's all ok for chasing red-necked stints out on the mudflats. When it comes to following birds in bushes or canopy it's not there yet. I prefer to use the lcd screen most of the time.
Neil.

Neil,

Sorry for the late response, I have been away for a few days. Your video clips and grabs are superb. 4K seems to be the future for our hobby. I have experimented with videograbs from my 70D and, like you, find those taken with a faster shutter speed tend to give the sharpest results, even at higher ISOs.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back