• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1d Mark II (N) queries (1 Viewer)

JCL

There seem to be a few reasonably-priced used Mark IIs around, and I am considering upgrading from my 20D and 30D.

However, I have two concerns:

1. Some sellers are not specifying whether the Mark II is N or not. What is the relevance of the 'N'? I understand replaced the original Mark II. Does the improvements it contains make it only worth buying an N?

2. While most reviews (eg on fredmiranda) rave about the AF, one - pasted below - suggests that it is poor unless using a L series lens of f2.8 or less. My main wildlife photography lenses (400 DO IS USM, 70-200 L) are both f4, so this has got me worried. Can anyone explain the cross-hairs/horizontal AF point argument? And does anyone have similar experience?

"The autofocus system consists of 45 autofocus points. When you are using an L series lens with aperature 2.8 or larger, the 7 center AF points get upgraded to cross-hair sensitivity.

Now, here's the kicker. I have 2 lenses. A 70-200 2.8L, and a 28-105 USM (non L). I was comparing the AF speed with my 300D (original rebel) and found that using the 28-105, the rebel was kicking the MarkIIn's but. I was using the center AF point for both cameras (which is typically the most sensitive). However, the Mark II N was suffering egregious back-focusing, and was searching for years and couldn't find focus. For days I couldn't figure this out. Then I turned the body to take the picture in portrait format, and suddenly it latched on. Then it hit me.

When you don't have an L series lens, all the autofocus points are HORIZONTAL. I have yet to determine whether you need a 2.8, but I would be willing to bet on it. My short range lens is only a 3.5-4.5 and is non L.

This infuriated me, and you need to know this when purchasing this product. I can no longer get by with my $350 carry around lens, and am forced to dish out at least a grand for a 2.8 L series.

This is huge folks. The cross hair vs. horizontal sensitivity is night and day. You should not even bother purchasing this camera if you do not own an L 2.8 Otherwise you just have a crap-load of slow AF points.

And if you think you're going to see noticeable difference in cross hair autofocusing, you WON'T. The motor speed will be determined through the build of the lens. And when you're talking about cross hair sensitivity, there may or may not be a nano-second of difference. I would be interested in seeing the actual manufacturer's specs... but I gaurantee, you will notice ZERO difference. The key is to activate the cross hairs on this monster..."

Thanks in advance

james

When you don't have an L series lens, all the autofocus points are HORIZONTAL. I have yet to determine whether you need a 2.8, but I would be willing to bet on it. My short range lens is only a 3.5-4.5 and is non L.

Hello James,
I've experienced a similar problem: AF speed/sensitivity is different when I'm using a vertical (bad) vs horizontal (good) format
I always use the central AF point, supposed to be more sensitive/quick, but I've also read it's a cross-type sensor of normal sensitivity, or, better, "it is only a cross sensor when using lenses with max aperture of f2.8 or better", or " The central sensor of the 20D is a high-precision cross sensor with a lens of f/2.8 or faster, and a normal-precision cross sensor with a lens slower than f/2.8 but at least f/5.6".
In any case, in portrait mode AF lock is often slower and more "uncertain": I often find myself searching for a different spot on the subject in order to get the AF lock (while when shooting at the same subject at the same time in panoramic mode AF is almost immediate).
I assume it depends on AF points structure, although I'm not sure whether that's up to using an L lens or not.
In my case, this behaviour is more apparent with my 350D, while my 20D is less sensible to this aberrance, and I have experienced it when using any of my lenses (Canon and Tamron), independently from their max. aperture (f/4; f/5, f/5.6).
I'd like to know more about this problem, if anybody out there has experienced the same and may offer a solution ... B :)

Cheers,
Max

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back