• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Videoscoping question (1 Viewer)

sandgink

Greetings all, I joined this forum because it seemed to have the largest collection of good information. I need help and I don't mean the kind where I lay on a couch and talk about myself.

I am attempting to put together a Videoscope of sorts. my main hobby is precision Shooting. ranges from 200 to 600 yards. while i can use the exercise at 51 years of age shooting then leaning over to look in the scope to check shot placement has gotten old. I have a small 7 inch display that i can put a video image into, I have a video camera and several spotting scopes.

I have done some preliminary hacking and when i used security camera i had and aligned it to one of my small spotting scopes is displayed a very acceptable preliminary result, so i started putting a little more effort into alignment and when I attempted to sight out the window at a stop sign that happens to be exactly 300 yards away the displayed image thru the window is pure white. if I point the setup at the far end of living room and dial the zoom back the displayed image is perfect. is seems to be a function of the amount of light coming from outside. if I hold the video camera up and point it out the window, it is initally white but the image adjusts and comes up perfect. as an Engineer by trade this is driving me crazy, which means I may end up laying on couch.

thanks for any and all advice.

Jake

Assuming that you are altering the zoom on the camera and not the scope, then as you zoom out the camera the focal length of the lens changes and it can no longer focus on the scope image.
You get a similar effect with the camera alone, dial it back to minimum zoom and point the camera at something closeup (without the scope ) eg a book or a flower, + the camera should focus, but if you then start zooming in you will probably reach a point where the camera can't focus anymore, because the focal length of the zoomed lens increases.

Some cameras have "macro focus" or "macro zoom" settings which can sometimes help with focussing on closeup stuff when zoomed.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back