• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't Access Paypal (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I use PaleMoon as my main browser, and thought I'd look up PayPal, but it "can't establish a connection".

So switched to Firefox with the same result.

Hmmmm.... then downloaded InternetExplorer, and that won't let me connect either.

Stuck - anyone any ideas what's going on please?

Presuming you're able to access all other sites without issue, I would think it would be a temporary issue. I have no problem getting on paypal on my machine on firefox, perhaps try again now and see if it's working?

Thanks Joe

No, just tried all three browsers again and none will allow access.

It's obviously not my internet connection as not having any problems here and can access other sites too.

In that case I can only suggest trying clearing all your browser cookies/cache/history before trying again. If that fails (which I at this point assume will), you will need to either contact paypal or a quick google search also suggests contacting your ISP as it may be related to your internet service. Wish I could help more but my IT knowledge is limited. Good luck!

Thanks Joe.

My internet knowledge is limited too.

I don't actually want to open an account, it was just something someone said made me want to go and look at the site. I seem to get worried when I can't do what I want LOL

I'll think over the options you've suggested.

Just a thought - are you able to access it from another device? Do you have a tablet/smart phone you can use? If they aren't working either then it will be an issue with your ISP! Technology is wonderful until it doesn't do what you want...

Thanks Joe, didn't think of that.

Yes, I can access PP from my phone via Google, but still not through PaleMoon on my laptop. Haven't tried the other two browsers though as I'm only just in.

No, EMC!!! Same problem. Though this time the message is suggesting I check my firewall.

Not sure how to do that (nor what to do if I find my way to it)... think I have Windows Defender?

To access the firewall go to the control panel, then click "System and Security" and then "Windows Firewall". You can temporarily turn it off to see if that is in fact causing the problem.

Thanks EMC.

I did turn it off and tried again... but no change. Still can't access PP.

Very weird!

Hi Delia, having lived in various countries, I have experienced the very best of, and the very worst of Paypal over the years. Ultimately I have always been able to rectify the issues by calling their helpline, having first tried all of the fixes mentioned above on 0800 358 7911.
Their monitoring system shows no current outages http://outage.report/paypal#2017-12-15
I would caution to beware of 'spoofing' and 'phishing' on all online banking sites, so ensure its https://www.paypal.com/uk/signin that you use, different browsers show the security key in different ways, for example Firefox shows a green padlock if it is a secure site.
I have not used palemoon, but if you are running Windows 10, a recent update made me have to reset many of my firewall functions, and I am using a variety of security on the system, so swore at length at MS, and not for the first time.
If you have an ebay account, you may be able to log into paypal through the page link that is included there.
Good luck,
Harry

Thanks Harry.

I don't have a PP account, and not really sure I want one really. The reason I was trying was to check something out for a member here. It's just frustrating when things don't work properly.

It's obviously something to do with the settings on my laptop, as my phone can make the connection OK.

Oh and PaleMoon has a yellow padlock. And yes, it was the https link.

Are you getting an error message Delia?

Could be to do with your security settings, sometimes you'll get a message that says e.g 'security certificate on this site is out of date'?

As you've checked several browsers, it has to be the settings on your machine

A

Are you getting an error message Delia?

Could be to do with your security settings, sometimes you'll get a message that says e.g 'security certificate on this site is out of date'?

As you've checked several browsers, it has to be the settings on your machine

A

Yes, Andy This is the message I get

Pale Moon can't establish a connection to the server at www.paypal.com

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Pale Moon is permitted to access the Web.

I've tried turning off the firewall which made no difference, even to the message.

So I'm at a loss what else to check/try.

I've just cleared my cookies and it's made no difference either.

Nooo.... not doing a restore. Hate doing that at the worst of times. And this is just a niggle;)

I've not used Windows for ages (I use Linux), Delia, but I'd guess it's a DNS issue. A couple of things to try:

First, try to clear your DNS cache, here's a link for Windows 10.

If no good, have a look in your Hosts file for any paypal entries... there shouldn't be any, if there is you'll need to delete the entry. Here's a link with general info on editing the hosts file.

Bear in mind that if you did find an entry for paypal in your hosts file, it suggests that you was infected by malware - as instead of going to paypal you was being redirected to the site in the hosts file... that site has probably been taken down, hence your failure to connect.

Pale Moon can't establish a connection to the server at www.paypal.com.

In the copy of the message it looks as if the last period is included in the address. Try manually typing the rest in without the period and see if it is that simple.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back