• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perigrene Falcon (1 Viewer)

Accipiter91

For my Dad's birthday I am drawing him a picture of a Peregrine Falcon standing on a dead duck. What do you guys think? I hate the feet but I just can't seem to get the result I want. I also think the head looks a bit weird. BTW this is my first attempt at a bird of prey and when I draw the duck it will be my first attempt at waterfowl. In the picture the falcon is standing on a Teal but my Dad's favorite duck is the Pintail. Could the Peregrine take a duck the size of a Pintail? Thanks much!

Attachments

• falcon 002.jpg
    falcon 002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 125
  • falcon 003.jpg
    falcon 003.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 118
  • falcon 005.jpg
    falcon 005.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I am sure that it is possible! I have personally seen one take a Pheasant.
Just a quick tip with the Peregrine's head, If you make the eye look more evil, it will look more peregrine - i.e. make it less round, and on the top make it more angled, almost at a shallow point. have a look at various other bird of Prey pics, you will see what I mean

Zac

Hi Audobob

You're doing great with this and think your Dad is absolutely going to love it however it turns out - It's painstaking work doing BOP but in this case a labour of Love, so don't worry about the accuracy. If I were your Dad, I'd be absolutely thrilled with it. My parents always loved my drawings I gave them as presents as a Kid because it was 'me' that did them!! They still do, when they get one for a birthday.

Appears you are working in pencil, if you are really unhappy about the head and feet, you may find this helpful:

(The TIPS of the DAY;) )1. If you can get the eye in the right place on a bird, the rest of the head often falls into place. 2. What I do (or am learning to with birds!) is to draw imaginary lines from various points eg. from shoulder to elbow and from eye to gape etc to get structure, then the plumage also then falls better into place)

A scrappy sketch copied from your photo to show what I mean - sorry it's a bit messy, my pens are running out!!

Attachments

• Perry guide.JPG
    Perry guide.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 110
Hi Bobby You are doing great - good tips from Deb. Drawing is all about measuring and looking at verticles and horizontals. I am working on my drawing by trying to do something every day and getting hold of some good learn to draw type books.
Really envy your location- I lived in N Carolina for 4 years a good 26 years ago. Loved it. We were in a town called Chapel Hill Do you know it?

Thanks for the advice everyone! |:D| I will try my best to apply all of this valuable advice to my bird and will post pictures of the finished product.

deborah4: I REALLY appreciate you taking time out to actually sketch the falcon. I think this will be extremely helpful! :t:

dryslwyn: Oh yes I have heard of it, I live about an hours drive from Chapel Hill

looking forward to the finished result, you've made a great start, Zac and Deborah's excellent advice will no doubt get the bird looking excellent. Be sure to let us have a look at how it turns out.

Ok...I have completed the falcon and the duck (I decided to go with the Pintail afterall) I will post pics tomorrow because tonight is a "school" night...

Ok...sorry about not posting it last night! Here it is tonight! I don't really like the rock...who would have known a boulder would be so hard to draw!? Oh yeah...I know my pics are very bad qaulity... Does anyone know a better way? I have a scanner but my drawings are almost always too big to scan.

Attachments

• falcon 011.jpg
    falcon 011.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 86
  • falcon 012.jpg
    falcon 012.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back