• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony e-fit 55 to 200 lens (1 Viewer)

I use this lens as a lightweight combo atached to an NEX-7 the thread seemes to have vanished but Isaw mention of a couple of front lens 1.4 and 2x converters just wondering if anyone remembers what they were? Lot looking for debate on quality of photos as for serious work I have an A77 and other lenses. Thank you :)

There are a few front-mount, filter-thread type 'afocal' teleextenders you can use on the 55-210mm lens...most will require a step-up ring to mount the extenders to the lens. The lens has a 49mm filter thread - and most of the extenders that you can pair with the lens are 55mm to 58mm...so a simple step up ring from 49mm to 55mm or 58mm will do the trick.

You can look around for a used Sony DH1758 1.7x teleextender - they stopped making them years ago, but remain popular on the used market for use on the 55-210mm lens...they have a 58mm thread. Beware - when these became popular, a lot of sellers started listing lenses for sale on E-bay and less-trustworthy sellers as 'DH1758' but then pulled a switch-a-roo and sent cheap junky Chinese-made no-name extenders.

The other popular choice is the Olympus T-Con 1.7x teleconverter. These come in a few varieties - from older used ones like the B300 version, to newly made ones...all should be fine and of similar quality...because these were made much more recently and some versions are still made, you can buy them new at fairly reputable dealers.

You're welcome. I shoot a lot of wildlife and birds with both a DSLR and my E-mount cameras - started birding with a NEX-5N, then A6000, and now A6300. I started with the 55-210mm and was the first to post widely online about using a tele-extender with that lens - I had an old DH1758 1.7x in my closet from P&S days and found I could pair is fairly easily. Though I use some much nicer, higher end lenses now on my E-mount, I still got pretty decent results out of the 55-210mm and DH1758 combo for many years - especially for the size and price of the kit. Almost all of the bird and wildlife photos in this gallery were taken with the DH1758 attached:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/sel55210&page=all

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back