• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji FinePix S1 (1 Viewer)

Totally awed & floored by the specs and ordered one online. I should be getting it in the next 2 weeks. Will put up pictures then!

Hi, my local camera shop told me this is the one for me; realtively cheap for papping birds for ID purposes. No need for a Leica or Zeiss lens.
I see that it's been out for a couple of years now tho - a mate told me to go for the latest Panasonic Lumix...
Anyone care to comment on their experience of this model?

I've been shooting birds with it for the whole time and it outperforms the other models in its class especially in focusing and being able to shoot in the rain. Very light and easy to handle and viewfinder is great for when you want to isolate light from your view to concentrate on finding the subject. The zoom feature is smooth and responsive and quiet unlike other super zooms. I'm on my way to the airport now and haven't got my computer with me to show you some shots taken with it but I'll be back on Monday and should be able to post some pictures. At 1200mm, tiny birds really pop out!

IMHO, going for the latest might not give you the reach unless you are going for Nikon's P900.

I have been learning the S1 for the last couple months. Still finding the Photometry (exposure) and Focus Mode settings challenging for the best/optimal use.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back