• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Puerto Vallarta (1 Viewer)

SussexOG

Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Puerto Vallarta region - excellent birds and sightings of Humpback Whales as a bonus. We had arranged for a guide called Alejandro Martinez to take us to the San Sebastian area - didn't show and no email to say why - we waited outside our hotel from 0600 - 0700hrs. Not impressed and would not recommend this guide at all - try someone else!

Sorry to hear about your no-show. I had a few hours night birding with Alejandro Martinez on that trip and did ok.

I would be interested to hear what you did see as this area has loads of potential.

I had a great couple of days birding before and after work during a conference visit in December 2014.

My old report is here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=295856.

Cheers
Mike

Puerto Vallarta

Hi Mike,

It was really disappointing as the tour sounded really good going up to San Sebastian - but no doubt somebody offered more money, even though there were 4 of us - so wouldn't recommend this guy at all, but we did use another guide called Gerardo from Nature Vallarta Birding Tours who was excellent and restored my faith in Mexican bird guides.

We stayed at a hotel in Nuevo Vallarta so went out every morning and found some good birding spots around the area and saw 172 species of which 52 were new to my life list - the best were Orange-billed Nightingale Thrush, Black-throated Grey Warbler, Rufous-bellied Chacalaca, Lilac-crownedParrot, Mexican Parrotlets, Military Macaw, 4 new Hummers, Vermillion Flycatcher, Black-capped Vireo, Black-throated Magpie Jay, Blue & Yellow Grosbeak & Buff-collared Nightjar.

Also a highlight was seeing lots of Humpback Whales and the best was when they lowered a hydrophone over the rib and we could listen to the song of the whales - awesome, how could anyone want to kill these majestic animals. We also attended a release of c60 baby Olive Ridley Turtles which again was great to see, but more importantly how they protect their turtles, if you are caught with turtle eggs its 9 years in jail without appeal which gets a thumbs up from me.

Just got back from a 2 week holiday in Puerto Vallarta region - excellent birds and sightings of Humpback Whales as a bonus. We had arranged for a guide called Alejandro Martinez to take us to the San Sebastian area - didn't show and no email to say why - we waited outside our hotel from 0600 - 0700hrs. Not impressed and would not recommend this guide at all - try someone else!

Welcome back to Blighty you Old Git !!

Heard a few tales of your exploits on Sunday morning, hope to see you soon.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back