• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missouri Hawk (1 Viewer)

sirijay

Took this photo about a week ago alongside the road. Wondered whether its a Cooper's or something else. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Hawk.JPG
    Hawk.JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 65
Young Red-shouldered. Note the tail that is just a little longer than the wingtips, the barring on the secondaries, and the red coming in on the shoulder. Cooper's Hawks have longer tails, thinner legs, paler eyes, and longer streaks on the breast at this age.

Nothing against Ken, but his example is not what a typical young Cooper's Hawk would look like (it almost looks like a Goshawk). This one is better for comparison: http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/falconiformes/epervier-cooper/epervier-cooper-juvenile1.jpg

My shot was taken from Portland, Oregon, (perhaps Western birds are bigger?) two Juv.females and a male, they were “hanging-out” almost adjacent to the nest, and remarkably I witnessed one of the females drop down onto a Grey Squirrel, which was promptly dispatched with consumate ease. On size the Juv. females were perhaps 20% larger than the sibling male. I can recall that the tails were a considerable length, all in all, an amazing spectacle watching the birds, which appeared fearless...down to perhaps 7-8 metres at times.

Cheers

My shot was taken from Portland, Oregon, (perhaps Western birds are bigger?) two Juv.females and a male, they were “hanging-out” almost adjacent to the nest, and remarkably I witnessed one of the females drop down onto a Grey Squirrel, which was promptly dispatched with consumate ease. On size the Juv. females were perhaps 20% larger than the sibling male. I can recall that the tails were a considerable length, all in all, an amazing spectacle watching the birds, which appeared fearless...down to perhaps 7-8 metres at times.

Cheers

I'm not sure about size difference between western and eastern, but immature western Cooper's do tend to be more heavily marked as your bird is. It seems unusually dark, but I suppose that could be due to lighting. I had a similar experience watching three young Cooper's Hawks up close. I was shaking in excitement!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back