• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snowy Owl found on OK 156 & CR 150, close to Marland (1 Viewer)

lulubelle

This has been posted on the Oklahoma birding on the net roughly since 12-13 and many people have been lucky enough to see this bird. I was lucky enough to be able to drive out there from the Dallas - Ft Worth area yesterday and find the bird cooperatively sitting on some rebar out in the field My photos are not great, but great enough for ID for sure!!! It was a 5 hr drive for and oh so worth it!

I wil post the ID photos later today.

Last edited:
It appears that this is certainly going to be a major irruptive year for the Snowy Owls into the states. Great for birders, perhaps not so good for the owls, apparently being forced out of their home territories because of food shortages!

Oh man, I spent Christmas in Dallas, just got home last night. Sure wish I had seen this.

Larry, I agree. I was more than happy to have to chance to see a bird that I really never thought would make it on my life list, but as I was admiring the bird sitting in the open field, I couldn't help but think that the bird was at a huge disadvantage. I imagine that it will find adequate food but that area is not ideal for that bird overall.

Lisa, I wish I had known about the owl sooner myself, but I didn't find out about it until Tues night and never thought to post it here til I got back. I can't even remember how I found out about the bird, I think I was playing around on eBird when I found out about it. I tried to find out if it was seen on Weds, but got no answers, so we took a chance and left Thurs morning hoping it was still there. It seems to prefer a certain area as almost all sightings have been in this one field. The local farmer close by apparently has seen a Snowy around that area for the last 3-4 yrs. Same bird, who knows? I feel bad that no one posted here and perhaps allowed someone like yourself the chance to drive up & see it.

If anyone else is wanting to try for the bird, I will post instructions.

Laura,
No worries, it is the luck of the birding draw. Will just stay on my list of need-to-sees until I retire. I'm happy they have come down this far and a lot of people are getting to enjoy them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back