• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birds from Kenya (1 Viewer)

notjes

Pics taken in Kenya in september. Who can identify me these 2 birds ? thanks

Attachments

• P1090864 - Copie.JPG
    P1090864 - Copie.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 120
  • P1150019 - Copie.JPG
    P1150019 - Copie.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 122
Both weavers.....as Mike asks, more precise location is needed. But first could be Vitelline Masked and the second could be African Golden

I don't dare to say anything about the first one but the second one looks like a female Palm Golden Weaver (Ploceus bojeri) to me. I am pretty bad with Weavers so I might be wrong. But there are not many possibilities of Weavers in that area with that red eye.

In the fast picture you have spekes weaver, ploceus spekii in non breeding plumage.It would be hard to sex them though.Black headed weaver shows reddish brown eyes.
2 pix is a non breeding male jackson golden backed weaver.Its clearly olivaceous on the back, superciliary stripe present and underparts pale bright yellow.Spekes,holubs lacks reddish eyes.African golden never shows the yellow eye brow.Non breeding black headed weaver have reddish eyes but lacks olivaceus green.

Nicky:
About the first picture: Surely adult Speke's males and females have lemony eyes, and there is no non-breeding plumage for this bird.

I wonder if they might be juvenile Speke's Weavers. When I was in Kenya a couple of years ago, I saw a Speke's Weaver male, and another bird I thought might be the juvenile. This juvenile looks similar to the birds in picture 1: the pale bill, especially seems significant.

You can see the pictures I took at the following address. Note that I clearly state that the last picture 'may' be of a juvenile; I don't say it actually is.

http://kenyaview.com/kenyaView_Kenya_Birds_Spekes_Weaver.html

As for the second picture: I don't know, but what you say sounds good to me. I couldn't find anything which seemed closer.

I don't get what you mean on "and there is no non-breeding plumage for this bird". Definitely there is, and that is exactly what we have, all i know is that it is kind of hard to distinguish the male from the female.

Well, I mean that Birds of East Africa (Stevenson and Fanshawe) say specifically that there is 'no non-breeding plumage' for Speke's Weaver, and Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania (Zimmerman et al) which describes non-breeding plumage where this exists, does not mention any non-breeding plumage for Speke's Weaver.

But, I have no personal knowledge beyond this.

Anyway, aren't the eyes in this photo the wrong colour for adult Speke's weaver?

I have had spekes with this kind of dark eyes.
Then let us do the elimination method, what else could resemble this in Nairobi?? Black headed/Village weaver right, even in non breeding plumage they show reddish brown eyes, Chestnut weaver would have different plumage.Am left with Only Spekes.

Nicky: As I said above, I am happy with them being Speke's except I think they must be juveniles, not adults in non-breeding plumage. Juveniles, of course, are 'non-breeding' also, but this isn't usually what people mean when they say 'non-breeding'.

But you see them more than I ever have. However, if they are non-breeding adults, as you say, then what the books say about Speke's Weaver is wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back