Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

June visit to Camas NWR

Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 20:33   #1
Hamhed

June visit to Camas NWR

Anyone in eastern Idaho watching this forum?

Steve

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 20:51   #2
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

I'm not in eastern Idaho, but I did go to Camas in early July last year. You can find some details on what I saw here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=207143&page=3
I don't know if that's what you're looking for though.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 21:52   #3
Hamhed

Thanks for mentioning Market Lake, Andrew. I have seen Market Lake WMA as Camas WMA not to be confused with Camas NWR. Anyway, we expect to be traveling that same interstate and in the same direction after week in the Tetons. Camas NWR has a really nice list of breeding birds that we'd like to see, including Short-eared Owl and Black Tern. I see that Market Lake WMA has some excellent sagebrush species listed. We might not have time for both. Too many good birding sites!

Steve

Old Monday 16th April 2012, 17:36   #4
Steve Gross

A quick stop along I-15 can net you several of the species you mentioned. The marsh at Market Lake is right along the interstate. The sage area is a little bit north; in fact, you can get to Hamer along the frontage road heading north from Hwy. 33. I've even seen Short-eared Owl sitting on fence posts in the area.

The I-15/Hwy. 33 crossing is known as Sage Junction. Sage Sparrow, Sage Thrasher, Loggerhead Shrike, Ferruginous Hawk, and Burrowing Owl can all be found from the gravel frontage road. I've even had Bobolink out there!

I actually prefer Market Lake to Camas. It's easier to get to (I'm usually heading east to Rexburg and the Island Park area), and the birds are fantastic. I'd dare say that there are even fewer mosquitos!

Both Market Lake and Camas are known for their tendency to attract vagrants. If you have time, both are totally worth it.

Last edited by Steve Gross : Monday 16th April 2012 at 17:39.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 02:52   #5
Hamhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gross View Post
A quick stop along I-15 can net you several of the species you mentioned. The marsh at Market Lake is right along the interstate. The sage area is a little bit north; in fact, you can get to Hamer along the frontage road heading north from Hwy. 33. I've even seen Short-eared Owl sitting on fence posts in the area.

The I-15/Hwy. 33 crossing is known as Sage Junction. Sage Sparrow, Sage Thrasher, Loggerhead Shrike, Ferruginous Hawk, and Burrowing Owl can all be found from the gravel frontage road. I've even had Bobolink out there!

I actually prefer Market Lake to Camas. It's easier to get to (I'm usually heading east to Rexburg and the Island Park area), and the birds are fantastic. I'd dare say that there are even fewer mosquitos!

Both Market Lake and Camas are known for their tendency to attract vagrants. If you have time, both are totally worth it.
Short-eared Owl on fence posts, huh? Sounds easy to me; wouldn't want to have to get out of the car or anything that involved effort!

Good feedback, Steve. You guys are talking us into a stop at Market Lake. We may do the frontage road at Sage Junction as well. It's those birds that we will probably be looking for. I'll assume that list would include Sage Grouse.
Thanks -

Steve

Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 12:08   #6
Hamhed

For Pinyon Jay, Gray Flycatcher, and Juniper Titmouse, we'll be looking for Pinyon-Juniper habitat. Would that be expected to be mixed with Sagebrush and found at Sage Corner or Market Lake or is that more montane in location?

Steve

Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 18:22   #7
Steve Gross

Pinyon Jay, Gray Flycatcher, and Juniper Titmouse are all found (some easier than others) in the area around Pocatello. Gray FC and the titmouse can be found at Kinney Creek, which lies in the Mink Creek Recreation Area. Here are the Google Map coordinates for Kinney Creek:

42.760334,-112.397186

Pinyon Jay is irregular in the area. An eBird search should give you locations where they've been seen in the last few years. There's a boat ramp on the South Fork of the Snake that has hosted them (and they've been seen in the general area), and there's one neighborhood in Pocatello that has had them (I saw them last year after seven years of 1x/yr. searches).

Also, as to the SE Owls on fence posts - it's happened a few times, but they've been tougher to see the last few years.

I know all of this because I lead birding tours to Idaho each summer. I'll be up there June 5-18 this year. I also lived in the state for two years and am on the team that holds the Big Day record for the state.

If you'd like more information, my email is sgross77 AT comcast DOT net
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: